Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Blood Patch question

adambaadamb Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had the Blood Patch done on thursday, I get minor headaches still, especially if standing up to fast or even turning my head. It is a minor but comes on quickly and then goes away. I am wondering if this is a concern or it is normal. All the Dr. can say is take it easy dont do to much for a few days, that really doesn't tell me much though?

• It has been sometime sense I have had a blood patch. The feeling of a freight pain going through your head pain goes away instantly with the patch, but there maybe some lingering side effects. I wouldn't worry to much unless the bad pain returns again. If you still are feeling the headaches in another week I would make sure they are aware of it. As your doctor said take it easy you don't want the blood patch to leak and have to repeat it. If I remember correctly they had me on bed rest for two days following the patch to be sure it sealed. Keep us posted how you do.
  • i had one done a month ago...what a horrible procedure ...my blood was coming so slow outta of arm so had to be extremely still cause i of needle seem like forever...
    but soon as he took needle out i had the headpain/pressue gone..
    he had stressed to me do not do much of anything for few days..most of all bending ,lifting and straining during bm...
    so don't be doing getting up fast or anything just rest..
    it your getting headaches just moving sudden or certain way don't hesitate to call were you got blood patch done
    hope things go well for you...
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • thank you, I will do my best to not be to active the next day or two, I just feel like something may not be totally going in the healing direction
  • When I had my blood patch done, the doctor told me to take it easy for at least one week. He told me to lay down (on my back or side) all the time except to eat or go to the bathroom.

After the first week, I started some activities, but it was gradual for another week. This healing process wasn't fun, but it worked – I had no problems.

During my hardware removal, the surgeon accidentally caused a spinal fluid leak. He repaired it with stitches and glue, but I still had to lay flat for 2 days to make sure the repair held.
  • Had a CT myelogram done on a thursday June 16. That night i had the most tremendous pain in my back and head. My headaches were in my neck, where my skull attaches to my spine. I would stand up and have intense pain. Called Friday morning and they told me to rest. Still had headaches. Monday morning went to ER, had them admit me to the pain management unit to get a blood patch. Was a tremendous releif right away. Still kind of jittery, almost like my body is waiting for them headaches to come back. So far so good. Let's see how next 24 hours goes.
  • I had the same experience; I will never have a CT myelogram done late in the week again - I too had to suffer through a weekend. Adamb, I was told to lie flat a minimum of 24 hour, preferably 48, after a blood patch to prevent the patch from loosening.
  • Went through the exact same thing and got stuck suffering through the weekend also. Then to have the neuro look at the myelogram report, shrug his shoulders, and tell me it was very uninteresting. I wanted to smack him senseless... I had a horrible time with that test, much worse than discograms.
    optimist said:
    I had the same experience; I will never have a CT myelogram done late in the week again - I too had to suffer through a weekend. Adamb, I was told to lie flat a minimum of 24 hour, preferably 48, after a blood patch to prevent the patch from loosening.
  • in 4 more days it will be 3 weeks since the procedure was done (CT Mylo gram). Headaches are about gone, never want to experience that again. Stiff neck and low back pain is back... I will gladly take back spasms than them spinal headaches. Kind of funny, but right after I had the blood patch and started on the road to recovery my wife said every little thing I did, I felt like I was going to have another head ache. I did, but not in the back of my neck where my skull bolts to my spine. Guess it was metal at that point. That's all the posting from me for now, but this website game me some good insight when I was racked up and hurting. It one person suffering from Spinal Headaches reads this and knows that it will get better, just takes time, than it was worth it. Good Luck to all...
  • I had a spinal tap to check for bleeding in my brain after being in a scuba diving accident. The next day my head hurt so bad I could hardly stand up to walk to the bathroom. I was rushed to the Er in horrendous pain in the top of my head. The neurologist recommended I have a blood patch done to plug the hole that was leaking spinal fluid. Immediately after the procedure all the pain in my head went away and I have been fine since. Mild headache at times the day after for about 30-45 seconds and my back was a bit sore but it was extremely worth having the procedure done
  • On Monday I had a lung blood patch. I had laid in bed for two days and was discharged on Wednesday with a lung tube. I was told to take it easy and I have. I have walked a bit today and noticed a my hemlock valve had to be emptied twice and it is only 5 pm. I read on a post above that I should lay flat on my back or diff. I was told to sit up as much as possible. Can anyone tell me what us the tight way to sleep? Thanks
  • It's been a week and although I feel a lot better I'm still getting minor headaches and if I start doing too much then I get tired and just want to lay down. Is this normal? I noticed if I have something with caffeine in it the headaches subside a bit.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,422
    edited 02/02/2016 - 10:03 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.