Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suggestions requested

Morgon64MMorgon64 Posts: 2
I am sick to death of this hip and back pain I've had for years! It used to come and go, now in the last year or so it is constant! Most days I can stand it, I'd only rate it a 2-3/10, but some days (and especially, nights), it is more like a 5-6 and even keeps me awake. It can be a deep, throbbing pain at times, when it is at it's worst. I am a 46 y/o female, not overweight, in pretty good shape.
It is only on the right side. I ALWAYS have a pain in my lower back on that side. It seems to center in my hip, sometimes in the front, but mainly it is a "deep" pain that I really can't palpate. Sometimes it is in the front of my leg, but infrequently.
I've had Orthopedists look at it twice, and my bones are great, supposedly. I guess that means soft tissue. I've done tons of reading, and I don't fit any particular syndrome or whatever. It's not sciatica. I'm becoming convinced that I just have looser tendons/ligaments on that side, and it is making muscles work harder or something. Is prolotherapy something that works? Who should I see? A chiropractor maybe?
I apologize for whining when I know there are people on here that truly have awful pain, but this is just dragging me down, mainly b/c it's so damn constant! Argh!


  • Sorry you're having this pain. Did they do x-rays and an MRI? I have facet joint problems that gave me back pain but was revealed with a MRI but I have mild DDD also so not sure what would be causing your pain. I also had massage therapy and acupuncture at Physio that helped but without an MRI it's hard not to know what's going on. I also had Physiotherapy and that helped as well as other treatments. I would be cautious in seeing a Chiropractor as mine wouldn't touch my back until I had an MRI. Best wishes and hope you get the help you need. I went to 2 Orthosurgeons and a Neurosurgeon and a Neurologist and 3 Pain Mangement Drs. I know there are Drs out there looking to help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I appreciate the input...hope you are doing well yourself...chronic pain is a bitch, and mine isn't even that bad, I know.
  • You will find that people on the board are very cautious when it comes to the use of chiropractors. They do have their place, but it is important to rule out any nerve problems before seeing one, as you can end up with more problems.

    Did you see a general orthopedist or was it an ortho spine specialist? Without any imaging, it is difficult to make any kind of accurate diagnosis.

    Have you looked into thinks like pudendal nerve entrapment? It is not unusual for problems with the pelvic floor to mimic the pain of a lower lumbar herniated disc. It is something that can move around.

    It could be that your ligaments are hypermobile and it is causing some instability in your right SI joint.

    Problems with soft tissue are more difficult to track down. If you do some research on the internet, you will be able to find some sites that have exercises and stretches that are used to help determine whether there is a tight piriformis muscle or, another one to check into is the psoas muscle.

    Unfortunately, the area of the pelvic girdle has so many muscle attachments, and various nerves and ligaments all running through that it can be difficult to isolate a particular pain generator.

    The more I think about it, the more I think you should do some research on the psoas muscle. It is the major muscle that flexes the hip. It is a large muscle that has an attachment on the spine and runs down and kind of through the pelvis. When it is tight, it can cause all kinds of problems.

    My right SI joint gets easily pulled out of position, which puts additional stress on all the ligaments that attach over by the hip. When it goes out, it allows my pelvis to rotate forward, which makes the psoas even more contracted than usual....This results in terrible pain in my right "hip" area, sometimes the right buttock, sometimes down the front of my right thigh. It is a very difficult muscle to stretch out and it often just stays contracted, which obviously can cause a lot of problems.

    You would want to rule out any significant spine issues such as a bulging lower lumbar disc first. But then I would look into some of these muscular and soft tissue "possibilities."


    I sent you a PM with some additional ideas --
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    And welcome to sh. Did your orthopedic have a mri done. Without one it's just guesswork. And I wouldn't think your pain is insignificant at all. When you get a spike to a 5-6 that is significant and will probably only get worse if not treated. Why wait until it is worse?

    good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • hi there,

    Chronic pain stinks! People can't see it so it's hard for people in your life to understand it.

    I would suggest seeing a spine specialist (orthospine doctor or neurosurgeon). If not that, Physiotherapy or someone who knows Kinesiology (study of movement). I am not a doctor but the 2 pains could be related if you are compensating for one or the other. The above types of specialties can watch your gait to understand. Even if you try PT, they can help you with stretches to help you.

    Good luck.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

    If your problems are coming from your spine, it can be a long road getting to the root of the problem. Like Charry said, it can be many things and if spine related, it could be facet joints or stenosis. All my lower back, hip and leg pain were from facet joints and stenosis and nothing to do with disc problems, although I also had a bulging disc at the level where I had surgery (L4/5).

    Like others, I'm wondering what tests you've had, like an MRI. I thing you need to investigate further with a spine specialist before going the chiro route. Sometimes, if it's spine problems your having, the manipulation from a chiro can make things worse.

    So, I'm hoping that you find what's going on and that they find a way to get you treated so you can feel better.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

Sign In or Register to comment.