Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm confused

AzgirlAAzgirl Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a MRI a few months ago & my pcp had his nurse call me & tell me that it showed narrowing of the spine. I asked if that was narrowing of the space between the vertebras due to DDD, or of the spine itself. She said it was all in the same family & that was all the dr. told her to tell me. I saw a physician's assistant last week & asked if that narrowing meant spinal stenosis, & she said yes, & told me that my record also showed 2 protruding discs. Now today I saw a reumy for the first time & he said that I don't have a diagnosis of spinal stenosis & that I certainly have back issues with osteoarthritis etc., but that fibro is the worst of my problems. Anyway, I'm not sure whether I have spinal stenosis or not!

• I'm totally guessing here, but it's been my experience that when someone speaks of a narrowing on a MRI, they are usually referring to a narrowing of the central canal...but, really, that is stenosis....

I've never heard someone refer to a narrowing between the vertebrae. They usually talk about the disc specifically..like disc desiccation, where the disc looks darker or black on the MRI due to loss of moisture content.... You can have stenosis either in the main or central canal, or it can occur in the foramina.

I would suggest you call the facility where you had the MRI performed and ask for a copy of the radiology report. It is a good idea to start a file and to get a copy of any tests, procedures, etc. to keep for your own personal records. Your doctor should be giving you more information on the test, in my opinion!

This website has many excellent articles and videos in addition to the forum. If you want to read up on stenosis and DDD, here's a link:

• Thank you Gwennie 17, for your prompt reply. I will definitely check out the links you listed. I'm not sure I can get a copy of my mri report because it was done at a small hospital in a satalite unit from a larger hospital, but I'm to see the physician's assistant tomorrow, & I'll see what info I can get out of her. Otherwise I'll press my Dr. when I next have to get my pain meds refilled. I'm new to this site, but it's a great site. Thank You, Azgirl
  • Your doctor should have a copy of it and it should be in your file. Maybe the PA will photo-copy it for you.
    It's worth asking....she might do it for you. Otherwise, you could ask her more specific questions.

This discussion has been closed.