Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member. Recent recipient of L5 S1 Fusion.

usawcraiguusawcraig Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello All,
My name is Will C. I am 3 weeks, and one day post op from a lamenectomy, and single level fusion of L5 S1. Yesterday I had a Biomet Spinal Pak II bone fusion stimulator, delivered, and put to use. I've had close to 9 years of LBP, and sciatica in my right leg. In May of 09, I had a discectomy which was terrific, and the answer to my prayers, for about a month.
It is wonderful for me to hear peoples experiences who know just how dabilitating, both physically and mentally LBP, and it's dwindling and chronic pains can be on your life. For years I'd visit with doctors, who would tell me deal with it as long as I can. That has got to be the most agrivating thing to hear, when you are in pain, and feel hopeless. Thanks for nothing, was my feelings toward that medical advise. Anyhow, I've been reading lots of posts,and found out that I had not done nearly enough pre op research. I must admit that perhaps it was a good thing, after reading lots, of fusion failures and horrificly painful stories of the experiences of others. My experience, has been terrific so far. I woke up in the recovery room, in very little pain. I was just highly uncomfortable, and couldn't wait to get to my room to see my family. The first week was worse than I expected. It wasn't even a whole week. I'd say the first 4 -5 days. I'd say the majority of my pain is residual pain from the surgery. just the past 2 days maybe I've experienced some pain similar to pre op pain. It has been some throbbing, and dull lingering pain, in my hamstring, and my right calf. I'm pretty confident, or at least I'm highly hopefull that it is just healing pain, since for so long the pain caused me to compensate for the nerve issues in that leg relying heavily on my left side for everything.
I work for UPS, and the scariest thing for me will be returning to work. I intend to do everything the doctor tells me to do, so that when I return to work, I'll be able to perform this job, which is very physical, and requires lots of lifting, bending, and twisting. I was blessed to have one of the best Neurosurgeons in the Baltimore MD area as my doctor, which was only by a chance visit to the emergency room a few years ago. I'm highly confident in his credentials, and abilities, and that his performance in my surgery were near miraculous. Sorry to go on for so long, I just wanted to share a positive experience, even though like I said, it has been so short, and still not certain what the final result of my quality of life will be. God Bless all who are in excruciating pain, and feel they can't live like this anymore, and are feeling hopeless as a result.
Will C.

• hi will
    thats what i call my son..short for william
    welcome to sh..
    i hope you have a speedy recovery and so glad everything went good with you surgery.
    just becareful and go slow..
    keep us posted and welcome
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. i wish you all the best for a complete recovery and that it solves your pain problems. stop by anytime as someone is always around here to chat with you. good luck and keep us informed! Jenny :)
  • i hope that you recover soon. and keep us all informed on your progress,.please don't leave us if your fusion works out .it would be good to see some positive fusion news ..most people on here are hear because there fusion has failed