Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain questions

dmeadeddmeade Posts: 5
I had my second RFA yesterday. The first one was 6 months ago.
I had some back pain relief from it but not for long. Since the first RFA the nerve pain in the back of my backs has exacerbated. I started taking Lyrica several months ago and it seemed to be working at 100mg. I am now at 200mg a day and it is not touching it.
Has anyone gotten nerve pain relief from a RFA?
Has anyone found that the nerve pain increased after a RFA?
My new PM dr said he will work on the Nerve Pain when I return for my follow up in a month.
I am pretty miserable and very discouraged. The pain is constant and worse at night.
Thanks for any advice!

• Hi Donna,

I wish I could help. I actually had to look up the achronym (which I assume is radio frequency abliation or something like this).

I wish I could help but be patient and I'm sure someone can help.

My other thought is if you put in RFA in the search, you'll probably come up with some old posts about it to see if you can locate experience.

I'm sorry you are still hurting but sounds like you are headed for a follow up.
  • I don't quite understand your question. RFA is for nerve pain relief, but for facet joint nerves. It isn't really supposed to kill the nerves that run down into your legs, is that what you're asking? (you said back of your backs, did you mean back of your legs?). If you kill those, it's hard to walk (my doctor and I had a laugh about that during my RFA today).

You might have multiple pain generators, your doctor should be able to do something for the other nerves as well (such as ESI). Just keep plugging away at it!

• Hi
    Sorry to be so confusing. I probably should have posted on a different forum topic. I did have Radiofrequency for facet joint pain. I also am experiencing neuropathy in the back of both legs. I was hoping that maybe the procedure would help with that too, but now think it may have made it worse. Just not sure. I am taking 250mg Lycria a day and pain medication. It does seem to be getting a little better.
    My pain dr said he would try other injections to see if he could help me. I am not sure injections will help at all.
    Thanks for trying to help me!!
    Take care, Donna
  • Well, the lyrica, pain meds, and facet joint rfa are things that could have helped. However, there are other nerve pain meds (other anticonvulsants, antidpressants), other pain meds, and as your doctor said other injections. You are far from exhausting your options! Your pain management doctor has only just begun ;)

What you haven't mentioned is seeing a orthopedic surgeon to diagnose the source of your pain.
  • I have had both increased and decreased pain from RFA. It boiled down to the condition of the nerve being ablated and the the length of time it had been in that condition.

The other freaky thing that has come along with having RFA done multiple times, is that the body can and does find a way to rewire itself around the ablated nerve.

I've had some RFA's that provided relief rater quickly while other ones took several weeks for relief to really settle in.

I hope you find relief soon.

• But C, you're continuing to get them? I realized that was the one thing I didn't ask, was how long I could keep getting them.

Mine was quite painful all weekend, but now is starting to quiet down and be less painful than the other side! And even yesterday I noticed some increased mobility which is nice- I wonder if that could cause some increased pain for people with disk problems?
  • I quit getting any more ablations after several of my docs started discussing the fact that incidents of CRPS seem to be more and more related to patients who have undergone multiple RFA procedures. This is something they have become very concerned with over the last few years.

Since I have experienced much of the "rewiring" from areas where the nerves were ablated, and a couple of docs feel that I have developed CRPS in the area where some ablations were done, I decided to refrain from any further ablations. Whether or not the CRPS is related to the ablations or the original injury to the nerves no one will probably ever know for certain. Kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Hope this helps,

• Hi there - I find that very interesting and scarey about the CRPS. What docs are you talking too - pain management? I am so discouraged with my nerve pain. It is constant and so painful and not any better. I keep increasing the Lyrica but to no avail. Nothing seems to be helping.
    I am really questioning my decision to do the RFA's
    I also have a buldging disc and wondered if that may be contributing to the pain.
    Thanks for any suggestions.