Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Switching from Effexor to Cymbalta

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Depression and Coping
After 3 years, I finally convinced my dr. that the effexor wasn't working. So he switched me to cymbalta. Any withdrawal or other effects I should be on the lookout for?

• Have you started switching over yet? Both medications have the reputation of being among THE most difficult to get off of, with many symptoms of withdrawal if not taken very slowly and carefully.

Did you doctor give you specific instructions on how to go about making the switch? You really need to get specific instructions from him/her.
  • I may have felt a little sleepy with Cymbalta at first but that has gone away now and I've taken it for more than a year. It helps my sciatica pain and also helped decrease some depression I had with the chronic pain. Your Pharmacist will let you know of any other things you need to watch out for. I was reading that it shouldn't be mixed with a water pill though I did take them last year and Cipro the antibiotic. Some people have experienced the usual side effects nausea and should let your Dr. know if you have any abdominal pain. I hope it works for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was on cymbalta for a bit. I had a rough time going on it- a lot of nausea and vomiting that lasted the first 2-3 weeks, as well as a very "spacey" feeling for probably the first month I was on it. I did get a little bit of pain relief with it in addition to the antidepressant effect, so overall I found it effective.

I'm not sure how tapering down the effexor will affect your symptoms as you start the cymbalta, but just be prepared that starting cymbalta can be a little rough but if you stick it out things will normalize after a few weeks. And as Gwennie said, coming off cymbalta is no picnic so if you do need to come off it make sure you talk to your doctor and taper *very* slowly.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Also go up on it very slowly! They do make it in 20,30,60 and larger amounts.
    You can also pull apart the cap. and sprinkle a half of it on applesauce. Per my pm Dr.
    I personally had a very hard time with it. But stuck with it for 2 yr. because it did work well on my nerve pain.
    But the side effects slowly increased over that time. And I had to withdraw. It was very hard for me to withdraw. And took 6 mos. or there abouts.
    I'm not trying to discourage you from trying it. Because, we are all different and it will effect all of us differently.
    It could very well be the ticket for you.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I switched with very little problems. My doc told me to taper down the effexor for a couple of days then start the cymbalta. I only did it for one day. The first 3 days of taking the cymbalta, I was really "spacey" to put it mildly - to the point I wouldn't drive. Today I was just fine!