Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

will I need more surgery?

hj_sparks85hhj_sparks85 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I'm 24 and had a Microdisectomy in Jan after years of a bad back and numbness in my left leg/foot.
The opp went well, thou the feeling in my bum, thigh and foot has not returned. I have been discharged from the osteopath and physio - I did not had much pain since, but recently have gone back to how it was.
I get the bad achey pain in my lower back and also the leg pain is gradually coming back.
I suffer from depression too so find it difficult to ask q's and understand stuff. When I had my opp, I didn't know much about anything really!
I have read that sometimes the disc can re-herniate, and a fusion is needed. I don't really want more surgery but can't continue with pain as it afects my job and my depression.

Should I go back to my doc or just see how I go? It seems to me that everyone is different with this sort of thing.

Any advice would be great..........

• hi there,

I am so sorry you are having such back troubles at a young age. I know the depression of it can be debilitating but don't let that stop you from asking questions....or asking the doctor to re-explain.

Also, remember, the doctor is there to help you. You can call them to ask if they think you should go in for a visit. They may say wait or not. But if you aren't feeling good...don't wait. It's worth peace of mind to get a professional opinion.

Ok, so now to answer your post.
    It is possible to reherniate, especially within the 1st 3 months. It happened to me.

If you feel you are going backward and it's 'consistent' for more than 2 days, then yes, I'd call the doctor. Does it mean you re-herniated? I don't know. It could be scar tissue build up, it could be temporary inflammation that a simple steroid or NSAID can help with, it could be that you need more PT to help remember to keep stretching, or the doctor might opt to send you for another MRI.

From my experience - I never got better after the surgery. I had significant numbness, loss of strength, and loss of ankle reflex in the left leg. After the surgery, really no change other than I could walk a few steps on my tip toes. The other reason I knew something wasn't right is because I was just having a lot of back pain in my lower back and up my back (I think due to stress). I waited thinking I just needed time. I waited b/c I didn't want to be "that patient", I waited b/c "I'm thick headed", I waited b/c I know back recovery can be slow. But by 6-weeks post op, I spoke up about my concern. I was put on a steroid. By week 10, I spoke up again. My doctor didn't really want to send me for an MRI as he felt it was still early. I had to tell him I just couldn't leave without the MRI b/c I was really depressed about how lousy I felt over a surgery that was supposed to make me feel "less" lousy.

I always say...for peace of mind, call the doctor.
  • The disc doesn't necessarily need to be removed(fusion). Depends on its condition. A 2nd micro-d can be done.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by speaking with your doctor. Nothing.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008