Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Luis62LLuis62 Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
so i went yesterday to see him to get a second opinion he explain to me the whole operation deal the fusion on L-4 & L-5 told me i would be out of work for 6 weeks now its up to me to decide when i want to do it.i'm going to see if i can make it till the fall or winter to do it. my question is how long were yall out from work from fusion surgery?

• What kind of fusion is he suggesting? Is it for facet problems, stenosis or a disc? What kind of work do you do?

I'm not working so I can't give you a timeframe, but I had an L4/5 fusion for severe facet problems and stenosis and I can tell you that if it's at all possible, plan on taking the full 12 weeks if STD offers it, plus that's the amount of FMLA.

Lumbar fusion is a very slow and long recovery and you want to give yourself the best chance at a full recovery as you can. But, that's just me. My surgeon automatically puts 12 weeks out after a surgery and then will adjust to a shorter period if the patient feels they're ready to go back, or will approve part time for a while as well.

If you're going to be wearing a brace, definitely fall or winter a good times because that brace can get very hot, especially since you have to wear something under it.

Anyway, just my two cents, for what it's worth.
  • on L-4 L-5 i have DDD with leg pain mostly the left
    one.i had 2 hern. dics that i had surgery in 1991
    so the last 5 years i've done the EDI injections facet injections, RFA.been seeing a PM doctor.
    this past month hs been bad can't do things around the house like i used to.as far as work i'm a parts salesman at a desk 90% of the time on phone 10% on counter some of the stuff we pickup weights around 5-110 lbs.i know i won't be lifting heavy stuff as of now i try not to lift them theres way to lift them here with the help of coworkers and hyd.lifts but can't always count on coworkers.its just something i have to work around.
  • I had a PLIF at the L5-S1 and was out of work for 6 months..I also stand all day bend over and things like that..retail...After the brace came off at the 3 month mark I under went PT for about 2 months. Durning all that time even thought I had less pain it still took alot out of me to just do small things.I think it's a personal thing about when you should head back to work because everyone is different and our body's heal at a different rate.Just listen to your Doc and your body and do whats best for you.

Good luck

And yes I would wait till cooler weather if you have to have a brace they act like heaters...lol
  • janni, how has your back been since the surgery? are you glad you had it done? that's what i need done. plif L5-S1. i'm going today for a consultation on epidural shots. that's the only thing left i haven't tried before i go ahead with surgery. would you do it again? my biggest fear is that i'll have to get additional surgeries.
This discussion has been closed.