Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New fractures after spinal fusion or vertebroplasty

aka_angelic37aaka_angelic37 Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a question for anyone who has had a spinal fusion or vertebroplasty.

I have heard from a few people that new fractures adjacent to a fusion or cemented vertebrea can cause new spinal fractures. Have any of you experienced this? If so, how long after the surgery did this happen, and what did the surgeon do to correct this?

Also have any of you had nerve damage after a surgery? I had a Vertebroplasty a week ago and am having new pain, the x-ray came back good, but still in pain!

Thank you in advance!

• Did you read through the information on this website?

It describes the procedure, why it is done and says the following: "It is not yet known whether vertebroplasty or kyphoplasty increases the risk of another fracture in the spine or ribs, but it is known that a patient sustaining an osteoporotic fracture is already at risk for additional fractures."

I think it would be very unusual to have any nerve damage from this procedure...I am not a doctor, but I would think the danger wouldn't be any greater than for a steroid injection or something similar.

Nerve damage is more common with fusion because it usually covers a larger area and often involves freeing up nerves that are compressed. With a vertbroplasty, they should not be interacting with any spinal nerve.
  • Thank you Gwennie =]Yeah i kind of thought it may be a far stretch for any sort of nerve damage but the pain i am experiencing is very rare and I am having a hard time finding anything on the internet about it...He did cut me open a bit nuthing big tho just like a cm or smaller. I am always the 1% who have complications! I hope it goes away, it doesnt feel like muscles, more like nerves, guess time will tell...

How are things coming along for you? Any news on the ins or a surgery date yet? I pray that you are able to get your surgery and find some relief! =]

Take care and thank you!
  • Nerves can get irritated and are very painful, like bursitis pain which I see you have experienced.

Nerve can get impinged with any invasive procedures
    as they say that with this procedure:
    include cement extrusion into the vertebral canal leading to spinal cord or nerve root compression

You could ask to be checked for nerve root impingement.

I have had that with sciatica.I hope it is only an irritation and gets better but you could ask to have it checked.

I have myofascial massages and they help my nerve pain and releases my spasm. BJ
  • Hmmm, so muscle spasms can be caused from nerve irritation? Yeah thats what it feels like. They did do an xray but the cement looks good, no new fractures or cement leakage, so im thinking he irritated a nerve cuz it started immediatly after the procedure. will it stay that way forever?

Thank you for replying =]
  • muscle spasms can be caused by nerve irritation. Before my surgery, I was getting lots of muscle cramps, spasms and twitching, which were caused by nerve irritation and compression.

They are almost completely gone since my surgery, which has (hopefully) stopped the nerve irritation and compression.

I hope that your problems and pain settle down very soon, and then you can get the benefit from this procedure.

Nerves can continue to heal for a very long time.

Take care Angelic :-)