Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doing a Micro-Endoscopic Discectomy with Laser Application!

Mike86MMike86 Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Greetings everyone.

I've decided to go ahead with surgery, for I believe my stem cell treatment won't eliminate the herniation. I hope it will help with the degeneration though!

I have an L4/5 Protrusion and DDD with sciatica down both legs, mainly the left. I am 23 years old.

I had a few questions though:
1. What type of activity level will I be able to do after this procedure? Will I be able to do sports, etc?
2. What is recovery like?
3. Is it really an outpatient procedure? Or is more of a 'we'll send you home and you can suffer there' kind of thing?

I am doing it with Dr. C. in Los Angeles, one of the pioneers of the procedure. Any comments about him?

Wish me luck!
Successful ADR patient with a Spinal Kinetics M6-L on L4/5. Details, photos, surgery pics here: http://healingmyback.blogspot.com

• Mike,
    I don't know anything about a micro-endoscopic discectomy with laser application, but will look forward to learning about it.

I wish you luck, and please do let us know how you get on. :-)
  • Hey I'm 23 also and very active.. I just had my open discectomy exactly 8 weeks ago. I feel pretty good and I have been doing PT and light lifting as well as bike and elliptical. My bad leg gets tired and sore easily but Im hoping to get back into the full swing of things again. Good Luck
  • I think you are likely to lose some core strength after any spinal surgery simply from resting.

I'm not a doctor, but I have learned the hard way that once a disk is herniated, it is prone to reherniation. I think you'll do well if you very carefully increase your core strength again, ideally under the supervision of a physical therapist. Given how young you are, hopefuly you'll get back to 100%. I'm a little concerned about DDD at your age, though, to be perfectly honest.

The procedure you mention sounds like something I looked into and I found out that the organization is a little less than scrupulous. I'm not saying that it's the same organization that you are considering, but you may want to Google the name along with the word "complaint" just to see what you can find. You can PM me if you want more details.

Just my opinion and just a suggestion. I truly hope that it all turns out great for you.

Best wishes!
  • I have had several surgeries done endoscopically. While you have less trama because you don;t have the big incision you still have the internal work being done. In the case of a micro-d you will have trama to the area because they are still cutting through the muscle to get where they need to be.

I would think you are right when you say they are sending you home to suffer. I had a micro-d posterior traditionally and went home 24 hours after surgery. I prefer being home than in a hospital. But don't let the outpatient surgery fool you into thinking you will be dancing your way home.

My concern about doing a disectomy this way is what happens to the disk material that they need to remove? The surgeries that I had endoscopic were all stitching type repairs. I have heard alot of controversy about micro-d's done this way because they are leaving that material to "float" around inside you near your spine. The theory is that the body will absorb any foreign object but I haven't seen any studies to prove or disprove this.

Please research this carefully. I can see great benefits but any new procedure should be approached with care. You don't want to be the guinea pig sacrificed for science. Rememmber as DMarch said a traditional micro-d is not that terrible to recover from.