Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical therapy after surgery

TenpennyTTenpenny Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had microdiscectomy June 09 I thought I should have had pt but doc never sent me or said anything about it. Now here it is April and pain has came back over the last month. Almost as bad as pre surgery. Have MRI scheduled for Monday. Just wondering if I should have had pt. New to this if u can't tell 1st post thx

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    PT following surgery is not mandatory, it is based on what the physician likes to do in normal practice and what the patient may gain. I am going to have to go through PT but the doctor said this is mostly due to the fact that I have been in a rigid brace for 12 weeks total as of next week. So I need to work on my abdominal core again.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi there...PT isn't necessary. I was told I may or may not need it. I was fairly active before the surgery and the doctors felt as if I recovered well, I probably wouldn't need PT b/c I would get back to a lot of the core muscle training I was doing before.

Hopefully the MRI goes well for you. Perhaps you are just inflamed or the scar tissue is causing some irritatation.

Does ibuprofin help? ice?

Let us know how it goes.
  • I didn't have PT after my first discectomy either. I have posted in several places how much I regret the fact that I didn't properly rebuild my core strength after surgery. I felt wonderful after about 2 months post-op. At 3 months I was given the green light to do "ANYTHING". If they say that to you, I would suggest that you think twice about it.

I thought I was in good condition, but within 6 months, I reherniated the same disk by riding my bike up steel hills (which I had been doing for years prior to my first surgery). My understanding is that when they remove a section of disk, that there is almost nothing that they can do to ensure the integrity of the annulus (disk wall). So, if you over-exert yourself like I did, I believe that you are highly vulnerable to re-herniation. Once you have a couple of discectomies, then things like disk pain can set in. In my case that led to a fusion (after 14 weeks, I still cannot say that it was successful).

I wish I could go back in time and avoid the first herniation. I wish I could go back in time and avoid the second herniation... I'm sure you get the picture.

Please take care of that disk! Best wishes!
  • Ice and heat works good for about an hour ibuprofen doesn't do any good either. Hope it just inflamation sure hurts though just like before surgery. Thx
  • I just had a meeting with an exercise physiologist friend of mine this week, and he says that it is imperative to strengthen legs and maintain your core after back surgery.