Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here I go again/ need advise from long term spineys w/fusion HEL?,

VickiVVicki Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi all you spiney folk. I just had to vent as Im going down again, for the next round of back Hell. After a fusion L5S1 in the 90's and a spinal cyst(synovial) L4-5 fusion a yr and a half ago, a kyphoplasty in Jan '09 when I spasmed and fell due to pain here I go again. I am terrified! I now have nerve pain in my groin, heading South down to my foot. All my probs were always on left- now this time right sided.
MRI w/ contrast tomo. Now we old timers know when it heads down the leg what that means. My lower backs always tight, I gimp from the nerve damage, hv probs walking and gait and bbalance. You all agree that somethings not right, right? Any feeback I'd greatly appreciate. I just can NOT imagine going into the OR again.

• Just wanted to add notification of new comment postings as I forgot to click on it. I am 57- which is too young to be facing more..............
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    the MRI should tell the tale.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I had a PLIF at the L5-S1 in 8-08 and thought all was going well. Till Jan of this year when I started to have major pain again!!!! This time it's on my left side where as before it was the right. This time it seems to be hitting harder and I'm going down faster ughhh.I've had x-rays and just had my MRI today. I see my GP next Friday and Neurosurgery on the 19Th of May. I kept telling myself that I was over reacting till I couldn't take it any more because the thoughts of the OR scare me.

I wish you the best of luck and i so understand where your coming from.

• Well Im going to the ortho surgeon Fri and truthfully I DO want to know if it's mechanical or muscular. Ive decided to do back exercises 3x a day- Im laying on the floor and doing my thing. Of course getting up is another story. My legs are so weak so I have to be near something so I can drag this failing body up off the floor. Im sorry ur having similiar issues. Yes the OR should scare us. That fusion recovery was brutal,right? Keep posting as I will. Lets find out what really is going on.
  • I had a ALIF-PLIF fusion this past Oct. and am having horrible back, hip and leg pain. With nerve problems in my Right leg and foot. The doc is being a jerk, he's not listening to me. Im awaiting a CT scan, so I can go to the pain clinic. Im only 32, and Ive applied for SS disability. My right leg is so weak, I have constant muscle spasms in my leg. I have a TENS unit for my back, it helps some. Im hoping the pain clinic will be able to get my pain under control. The bad thing is this is a workcomp case, and they are driving me crazy.
  • When theres pain for me it means something is wrong, not just pain management. My ortho surgeon appt is Monday. He had cancelled and then this wk i had medical tests. This is so strange. I had been in agony. Please note: had been. I laid face down on the floor and had my son apply pressure to my lumbar area and something popped and my back fell into alienment! What the heck is that about? Obviously my agony was due to something pressing. Hv no idea what it was, but it helped. Frankly i figured if he broke my fusion i didnt even care....thats how bad the pain was.
This discussion has been closed.