Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question for ya..... Please Read....

caitycccaityc Posts: 268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I know you all are not doctors, just looking for personal experiences.... I have been having pain lately, and wanted to know if any of you with neck problems have experienced it....

I've been getting a pain in my left arm. It's in the middle, outside part of the arm, a little bit towards where my arm hits my side. It's pretty bad. It then extends in to the side of my fore arm, down to my hand in between my thumb and pointer finger. Have any of you experienced this kind of pain? I would chalk it up to a pulled muscle, except that it goes down in to my hand. It also is a sharp pain, not muscular. It really hurts when I lift my arm. But is also very painful when I am just sitting in my recliner. It does come and go, but most often is there with some degree of pain.

I feel there is something going on in my neck. I am going to make an appt. with my pain management doc, but just wanted to see if anyone you have experience this kind of pain.

• Does icing it help?

Before my cervical surgery, I thought I had tennis elbow in my left and the pain was unbelievable. I'd have to move my arm in different positions to try and get relief and massaging my arm as well. Icing it seemed to help, but it turned out it was from cervical nerve compression. Not that this is what's happening to you, but you might be able to relieve it with ice and I also wore one of those tennis elbow bands around my arm just below the elbow that helped a little, too.

Do you have any known cervical issues? If so, it could be from that, but in any case look up the symptoms of tennis elbow and golf elbow and see if your symptoms match up either of those. Then you can try some of the relief techniques they suggest for those problems to see if they help.

• just got over a stint in the ortho because of a lifting accident at work...I simply lifted too many boxes at once...

I had pain you would not believe. With a steroid packet (5 days or so...perhaps 6) and also celebrex daily...

the pain has subsided but the numbness has not.

It is getting better though...the doc told me the bad news today...after two mri's one from 08 and one from last week...not much has changed...

There is a 3 level fusion in my future whether I like it or not...

I have been reading these posts and they have been very helpful in getting me to overcome my fear...feel free to email back...I am not an expert but i can tell you it is no fun thinking you are alone!
  • The best advise I can give is that wouldnt hurt to see an Ortho. What you describe very well could be cervical. It could also be alot of other things. Either way, no need to get nervous. If the pain is chronic, you really need to identify the reason - therefore increasing the odds that it can be addressed easily.

• I have had some cervical issues. I hurt my neck at work and I had to go for Physio for gentle decompression and ultrasound which helped tremendously. I still have some sharp pains that is relieved with heat. I also have a history of epichodylitis in my elbow and have had cortisone injections and more PT for that. I have DDD in my C4 or C5-C7 and know that causes my issues. The finger pain is awful and hope your Dr. finds out what's going on to treat you. Sometimes one issue in lumber can usually show there is issues with other areas of the spine. I hope things can be treated with conservative measures for you. I hope it's only muscular. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm going to make an appt and see if I can at least get an x-ray, and go from there. It's definitely not around my elbow. And it's not muscular.... So weird!!!

I'll update when I know.

Thanks again!!

• Hey Caity,

You may want to check out the video here on cervical radiculopathy also look at a dermatone map and see if that looks like anything you have had on previous imaging. The ortho is a good place to start where the proper test can be ordered. Does the pain ever change for example if you lay down and put your arm over your head does it help it? Or say if you had a milk jug in your hands and down at your side does it help it. I am assuming in these positions that you are maintaining proper posture. I would also keep a good journal of the pain as far as what you were doing when it got at it's worst and what makes it feel better. Gives them such a better idea as to what to look at. Keep us posted on what you find out. Take care.
  • I could make my arm feel better by putting it behind me, but straight. But it really varied each time. Some positions helped at one time, another position helped at another time - it's just so difficult.

Like I said, try icing it and see if that helps. It seemed to calm the nerves for me, even if for just a little bit.

Like tamtam said, please keep us posted.

• the pain is at it's worst when I cross my arms to take off my top.. You know what I'm talking about? When my left hand is on the bottom right of my shirt, right hand bottom left of shirt, when I lift the shirt off in that position, it is so painful in my left arm. Also, if I bend my arm, so my hand is going towards/on my stomach and lift my arm, it is terrible! I can put my arm down, out.... It also hurts, oddly enough, when I'm sitting in my recliner. It just aches, and is difficult to find a position that is comfortable.

I did look at a dermatone, which is why I think it is cervical. It looks like a C5-C6 issue, which I've read is the most common cervical level for issues.

My sis blew a cervical disk 20 years ago, was paralyzed the whole left side of her body, and had a fusion. The fusion worked, but now she has been diagnosed with lumber DDD. It just runs in the family I guess.... :(

Wish me luck....