Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

will it ever end..

sleeprgirlssleeprgirl Posts: 695
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Today I had a consultation with another Physical Therapist. She is considered best in my city. I still have severe pain in my lumbar/sacral area down my left leg that I've had since day one postop, but for the last month I've been having thoracic pain, around my ribs, and my T12 vertebrae is protruding outward, which is a new problem. I had a very slight kyphosis before surgery, but now it seems to be taking the brunt of my weight. Sitting is excrutiating, especially when I'm not supported with pillows.

This physical therapist confirmed that my thoracic spine is taking a hit now. She has so many new techniques that no one else has ever bothered to explore, but she seemed very concerned about my future, and me being able to work again. I have to stay focused on getting better..its just this is the first time that I've had to consider this might be the beginning of the end of my spine health. I may be 50, but Really??....Reality check.....Can I say...this really STINKS!!!

Thanks for listening to my rambling,

• (see my sig). I am so sorry to hear this! I am going through the "domino" affect myself, and I too have asked the very question as you..."Will it ever end?" I tried to carry a sense of humor the last time I saw my NS after he said "What is going on? You're falling apart right before my eyes!" He said that with a very serious face, but I tried to be funny and said, "But Dr. Pxxx I am putting your kids through collage right?" He only replied with a nervous chuckle. Sigh...

The MRI's come back "not great", the EMG's come back "not great", the physical exams come back "not great." Nope, not happy as I am seeing nor are you, but I have to try and stay positive and try to work with what cards I am dealt. I am sending you positive energy in the hopes it helps. Again, *hug* so sorry you have things stacking up, and yes, it really *STINKS*, no question.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Lisa, it will end, then begin again, then end, then begin again . . .

Sounds like you're over on the dark side - I wish I could grab your hand and pull you back in the light.

All the poor suffering people who come here - well - all of us seem to cycle through, back and forth.

Keep going - looks like you've got a really cute little dog. A good friend, in good times and bad.

Feel better/hopeful soon. Have faith that despite the endless pain, life will continue to bring you love, fun, fulfillment, moments and even periods where you forget about the pain.

All the best.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I seem to be in the same position. I am 43 and seem to have continuing health problems with my spine and my knees. At this point my employer's LTD has agreed benefits will continue for a while. Usually LTD companies fight it but I think the total of 5 spine surgeries in my life with 3 in the last 4 years have led them to think returning to work may not be an option. I'm pursing the SS thing as well, as required by my LTD insurance.

I'll share with you one of the few things that has kept me from being devastated and depressed. I have a cousin, 55, who is in the final stages of ALS (Lou Gherig's). Everyday that gives me perspective. He lives far away (East coast) but I think of him often and realize that I may go through pain, face additional surgeries, etc, that I'll survive and live my life to the best of my ability.

I don't say this to add sadness or be too philosophical but just to share that this has given me perspective. My doctors thought it was odd I was not depressed. But I told him I can't be. I'm actually blessed in the grand scheme of what could be.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I was raised by parents who worried about the future. They did without most of their lives and even at 80 they still watch every penny when they certainly don't have to. My husband is almost the opposite. He has watched almost every male in his fathers generation die before they are 60. He lives for today.

This has been a problem for us in the almost 20 years we are married. I worry about the future and he lives in the now. Well this accident sure changed my attitude.

Like a good little girl I went back to work as fast as I could because I didn't want to lose my job. Now 3 1/2 months out from surgery some of the symptoms are back and I have a pretty strong feeling that I reherniated to the other side.

Luckily I have two more years that the no-fault will pay for treatment and a happy plus at work is that I am now covered by std and ltd. Once I get some confirmation of what's going on it might be time for some enforced rest. I'm learning that this is a life changing event and I need to adjust my thinking.

Hard as it is I am learning to live for today.

• I really feel for you!
    It really is time that your spine got into order and behaved itself!
    Did you have problems with your thoracic levels before, or is this totally new?
    I really hope that with physio, they can strengthen your muscles to protect those vertebrae and discs.
    Try to keep positive and hopeful for a better future.
    We are here to listen and support
    big cyber hug (gently!) :-)
  • I am also a member of the "Domino Club". First fusion L2-L4. 6 years later, L4-S1 fusion. I worry about future problems above all of my hardware.

I also have a neck that is a total disaster. So far not too bad with symptoms, but one look at my x-rays and you can see this will be another major problem to deal with.

It does stink to deal with this, and scary. Accepting our "new" life can be hard, but it can be done (I think & hope). Its a long road to acceptance but stick with your spiney pals, there are so many terrific, supportive and empathetic people on this site to help with the rough patches.

Take care of yourself,
    Lisa B
  • How I wish I could be there and take you for a day of light shopping and lots of laughing! We are here for you to support you through whatever life has to offer.

I have seen therapists do amazing things. And when you find the right therapist, like it sounds like you have, we will walk on fire if we have to, to get to the end result.

Hang in there! I know how scarey the unpredicted future can be. My surgeon really believes that in addition to my spinal issues, I also have something neurological going on. He has insisted hat I have a thorough neurological evaluation. I've had the MRI of my brain. He suspecs MS....

I want to heal from my fusion first. At one point he said he wouldn't do my surgery until that was done, but he relented. I'm only sharing this to let you know you are not alone! We are here for you!

Pull your friends and family in and spend the weekend doing things that make you happy!

Sending you well wishes, prayer for peace and strength and a gigantic but gentle cyper hug! Shari
  • I so appreciate all your support. It is such a strange place to be. We search desparately for answers and sometimes, just hope! The people around me (surgeon, my prior PT, boss), do not seem to care or understand that there are continued problems...with consequences for the future.

I am so guilty of always needing a plan. If you tell me the plan, I'm good and ready to go with it. The problem here is...there is no plan. No one can or will give me indication of what my limitation(s) will be. My surgeon just said I was coming along much slower than expected(which made me feel responsible in some way for not doing well enough), and wanted me to go find a job doing paperwork, then basicly walked out the door. Ha...how many people get to do their job from their bed or sofa??!!

Guess when you have always taken care of other people(husband, children, hospital patients, aging parents), whatever it may be...you put yourself last, and you should always miraculously be healthy. It never occurs to you, to give yourself permission to be down or sick...I have actually had to raise my voice at a co-worker to leave me alone about coming back to work, since they have unrealistic expectations for me, and had been bothering me about working again.

I am hopeful that the new therapy will help. Must realize now that nothing may cure my spine, but just help me live the best life that I can. Other than people here on the forum, I don't have a support system...no one in my life understands, and being single...well, that makes it kind of isolating.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and painfree weekend,