Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months post..

killian123kkillian123 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I’m 3 months post op from a l5/S1 PLIF/hardware and I think that I am doing fairly well.
I haven’t taken a pain med since 2 weeks post and I have been walking as well as working a few hours a day on my ranch. I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon on Monday as to when and even if I need PT.

Mornings are great for me as I do not wake up with a stiff back and can generally do about a half day worth of work. The problem iam having is that after I lay down for an hour in the late afternoon iam finding it difficult getting up off the couch…(still using the log roll). Iam not in pain but my back just feels weak.

Also iam having some pain in my T12/L1/L2? area…tender to the touch. I don’t think it’s from “overdoing” anything. I still adhere to my BLT restrictions etc..
Any one else have/had similar problems??
All the best
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and congrats on your progress. I would be surprised if your doctor didn't recommend PT. Not that you don't probably already know how to exercise but I have found some key stretches and core exercises that are good in general which is important to avoiding further injury.

I didn't have a fusion but am nearly 3 months post-op of a revision MicroD of L5-S1 (yes a do-over). I actually did have soreness around that same area and have found PT has helped reduce it. It's not gone but it is much less sore to the touch.

I would ask your doctor about it.

All the best to you too!
  • I think you're doing really well.

From about 2-3 months up until recently, I had so much pain in the area upward from the fusion, especially when sitting, similar to what you described. Now it has eased up a lot and it could be because my core muscles are much stronger, and that takes time.

See what your neurosurgeon says tomorrow - probably some physio will help. I started physio about 3 months ago, but not all the exercises helped and some gave me more pain, so it was trial and error finding what would work for me. For any exercises lying on my back, I have to do them on my bed because the floor is too hard.

Do let us know how what your neurosurgeon says.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I'm envious of your progress, and I would like to add to the Congratulations!

I hope that your doctor will prescribe some PT. I've learned the hard way that if you start to exert yourself early after surgery that you may be setting yourself up for an injury that could have been avoided by some simple core-strengthening exercises. I've been doing PT for about 8 weeks now (it was precribed 7 weeks after surgery) and I feel stronger and my back feels more stable than I have felt in years.

Best wishes on a continued "picture perfect" recovery!!

Dave
  • What do you do in physiotherapy?
    I am seeing my surgeon in a week's time for x-rays and if my incision is completely healed up, to start physiotherapy.
    I've been doing the lying down physiotherapy that I was given the day after surgery each day. Was wondering what I'll be doing next.
    Have read of lots of people whose pain levels go up when they start physio.
    I haven't worn a brace at all, so hopefully my muscles aren't too weak.
advertisement