Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Books on pain, food, psychology, treatments, etc that you have read

tallguyttallguy Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Management
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured I would just put it here.

Please list the books you have read and enjoyed and that were helpful for whatever problem you had on any level, from emotional, to nutrition to pain management and treatments.

I think this will be a useful refernece for people in the future.

List the book name, author if you have it, what the book is about, and why you thought it was useful.

• I only have one book:

"Do You Really need Back Surgery? A Surgeon's Guide to Nedck and Back Pain and How to Choose Your Treatment" by Aaron G. Filler, MD, PhD, FRCS (SN)

I have never read through it totally, but can find answers to my questions regarding anything spine-related. He tries to put all things spiney in layman's terms and explains the spine in detail, different spine problems and conditions, therapies, surgeries, how to keep the spine healthy and even insurance companies and surgery costs.

Other than that, I just learn from others here, my doctors and research.

• this is a great idea for a discussion thread---I am trying to remember what I have read-will post when I can recall(duh)
  • "Managing Pain Before it Manages You" by Margaret Caudill.

This book is an *awesome* resource that I come back to all the time. It is perfect for anyone at that point of accepting that the pain will not be cured and is instead something that they need to learn to manage and live with. It covers the basics of chronic pain (the science behind it), psychological management tips, diet, pain management tips and treatments on a self-management level, a section on communicating about pain with medical professionals and family/friends (which I found tremendously helpful), and basics on improving quality of life with pain. It has a lot of worksheets and resources, and is basically a self management tool kit. Highly recommended for all chronic pain conditions...

"Yoga for Pain Relief" by Kelly McGonigal

This is good for the psychological aspects of chronic pain. There are a lot of deep breathing, meditation, stretching, and relaxation exercises, as well as some great exercises on identifying that "disconnect" we tend to develop and the feelings of betrayal we harbor against our bodies. The yoga stretches are *very* gentle and designed with spineys in mind, and can be easily modified.

"All in my Head" by Paula Kamen

*HILARIOUS* memoir by a fellow chronic pain sufferer! I LOVE this book! Paula is a chronic headache sufferer, but her sense of humor and tales of encounters with the medical profession are true for us spineys as well. Definitely a great read on the lighter side of chronic pain.

"The Body Broken" by Lynne Greenberg

Another memoir, by a neck pain sufferer. This one is serious, and definitely made me cry in a few parts. Her tale is very similar to a lot of us (I'm sure). She uses a lot of literary quotes and mythology metaphors, so for anyone into that you will love this. It's just a great book by someone who "gets it," and for me I found it put words to a lot of the emotions that get tangled in chronic pain and are impossible for anyone outside chronic pain to truly grasp.

• I am an avid reader and these have proved very informative.

RA Sternbach MD Mastering Pain

E Goffman. Stigma the notion of self in disability

Dr B Roet All in the mind

Melzack and Wall Text book of Pain
    Academic Journals all in one place

The Challenge of Pain

Any work from : Fordyce, Flor, Turk or Bonica

In the management of chronic pain we need improving knowledge and understanding of pain its creation and concepts.

Take care. John
  • I am reading The Body Broken mentioned above. So far a very good read. One of the best I have read for managing the pain is The Mindfulness Solution to Pain by Dr. Jackie Gardner-Nix. The information in this book really helps with the day-to-day stress of living in chronic pain. Any books on cognitive behavior therapy are also good to read as this helps greatly dealing with chronic pain.

• Great thread! Cath, I agree that Do You Really Need Back Surgery? by Aaron G. Filler is a terrific resource and very readable. The only negative thing about it so far (I haven't finished it all) is that the author repeatedly refers to acetaminophen/paracetamol as an NSAID. That minor quibble aside, it's a very helpful book, with everything explained in layman's terms (but not dumbed down).

The Challenge of Pain is one I've been meaning to check out for a while now. The various pain management texts (Bonica's, etc.) all look very interesting and useful but they are usually too expensive for me.

Oxford University Press has brought out an affordable (and portable) series called the 'Oxford Pain Management Library' - I've found the most useful titles are:

- Chronic Pain
    - Neuropathic Pain
    - Opioids in Non-Cancer Pain

Another good one, recommended to me by my old doctor back in the UK, is:

- Pain (Churchill's Pocketbooks) by Cathy Stannard and Sara Booth

• An interesting list guys, keep em coming. I am searching through my library to see what all I can post here also.
  • I just finished another great book I wanted to add to our list:

"Life Disrupted: Getting Real About Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties" by Laurie Edwards

This is a *wonderful* resource for us spineys in our twenties and thirties. It is written by a woman with a chronic pulmonary disorder, but it is very inclusive for chronic pain patients. It is the only book I've come across that addresses the unique challenges of dealing with chronic pain during the early adult life stage, and it really does a great job covering how chronic illness affects people trying to start careers, people starting relationships, and other various life changes that occur in the 20's and 30's that are affected by chronic pain.
  • Facing Pain, Finding Hope: A Physician Examines Pain, Faith, and the Healing Stories of Jesus, By Daniel Hurley MD.

In the spirit of full disclosure, Dr. Hurley is my Physiatrist. Moderators, if I have crossed the line as far as mentioning Dr’s please edit if necessary.

I haven’t finished the book yet, but as someone who is not very spiritual, but definitely in pain, I have found it very interesting. On a personal note, it has given me a unique perspective on my Dr.
  • About 20 years ago now it must of been when back pain started and i was new to all this and ran across some books about how to cope with back pain. So my take on this book theory is i guess its an introduction to whats to come in someones lifetime of a posible lifetime of sufering. The most famous line i been hearing for 20 years after every failed surgery, or any failed procedure is,(GIVE IT TIME) I am suprised there is not a book out there yet titled 'Give it time' I dont think there is any book that can prepare a person for the level of pain they have to deal with following failed back surgery, and nerve damage pain .Not to mention with dealing with the lack of understanding from the outside world and that includes family members. I think there is a certain level of pain each person can learn to cope with,which these books could posibly help with. For myself, nothing could of prepared me for the pain that was to follow for the last 6 years after opting for my adr surgery in 2004. And ever sense then 2 more surgeries to try to correct and stop the nerve pain. My recent attempt nerve burn on l4l5 which 1 weeks later just about puts me nearly back to er unless pain dr does something for me today. As they say,( Give it time) When nerve stimulater did not help, the old saying was (Give it time). When pain pump trial failed because spinal leak for 7 days out of the 7 day trial period and ending up in er, dr statement was(give it time). The end' Alexhurting
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    I beleive the best article/book I have read about chronic pain (which back, cervical and thoraic problems fit into) has been an article written

by: Christine Miserandino

Its called the Spoon Theory Just go onto the Internet and search for "The Spoon Theory"

I guarantee that after you read the Spoon Theory, you will have a better sense of your own situation and how it could be better or worse
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Holy cow thanks for starting this topic. I'm going to write some of these suggestions down.

Thanks Again
  • I agree Cath.
    I have this book and have found it very informative.

Gwennie recommended it to me :-)