Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have been discharged, PRN!!

Gretchen1GGretchen1 Posts: 105
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had my 3 month check up with my surgeon on Friday and am fusing so well and doing great so he has discharged me, return as needed! Had TLIF on February 2nd at L5-S1.

I'll be starting my 4th week back to work, part-time, which I worked prior to surgery. I'm released to work 8 hours per day but will be taking it easy and sticking with 5 hours. It was tough getting back to work but I think I'm over the exhaustion hurdle now and am enjoying getting back to normal.

Am starting the full on weaning from the oyxcontin this weekend and hope to be totally off them, except maybe as needed, by next weekend. A beer to celebrate Mother's Day would be perfect!

I'm still having some aches and pains in the lower back, mild leg swelling in the evenings, and some minor nerve pain in my left leg. But, compared to where I was on February 1st, this is heaven. I can actually walk a city block without being in agony and having to stop every 2 steps. I don't have to crawl up my steps and into bed after working 4 hours and rest until the next morning.

I know I'm still going to have some bad days and need to watch myself on days I'm feeling good to still not overdo but am so happy I decided to have my surgery. It was worth every miserable moment I may have had afterwards, most of which I can barely remember now.

I know I was terrified about having surgery but reading everyone elses posts really helped me know what to expect and to not be so terrified. I thank you all on this board for helping me get through it! It was a genuine comfort to know I was not alone.

• Gretchen,

I am so happy for you!! It sounds like you're doing great. It seems you are doing all the right things and know what to expect. Keep doing what you are doing and I bet you will continue to improve. <:P

• Great to hear a positive report. Just remember that your fusion will not be solid and strong until you hit the twelve month mark...so don't push the BLT rules too much. And don't discard your new "good habits" as you start feeling better. Pay attention to posture and body alignment so you can avoid problems down the road.

Stop in once in awhile to say hello!

• I am so happy for you! =D> It is great to hear such a positive outcome for spinal surgery.

I wish you continued success and remember to still take it easy and don't overdo.

Take care,
  • I'm so happy for you!

I only had a hemi/lami back in 2006 (not anything as involved as the procedure you had), but I felt so much better after surgery that it was like a second chance at life!

Remember to take baby steps, though. I didn't. I hit the ground running. Went back to work after about 2 or 3 weeks (full time desk job) and sure do wish I'd have done like you and ease myself back in. I can't help wondering if it would have made a difference...

At any rate - CONGRATULATIONS GRETCHEN for having such a positive response to your surgery! I absolutely love hearing success stories such as yours! Thank you for sharing.

• Thanks guys. Don't worry, I already learned the hard way about overdoing it when I felt good. And Gwennie, I have gotten so used to doing things without bending or twisting that I think I would have to conscientiously tell myself to bend at this point, somthing I don't think I'm going to change as my legs are getting quite a workout with all the squats I've been doing!
  • Hi Gretchen

Isn't it good to be able to walk without being in agony and to enjoy life again.

You sound like you're doing well and good that you're able to go back to work.

Hope you keep on recovering as well as you have so far.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • YaY!! Congrat's Gretchen! That is awesome to be realeased! I have to agree! Us spineys see things in a different light and have learned to appreciate the little things in life like being able to walk without tears!

Keep in touch, enjoy Mother's Day and your beer! Wishing you the best as you regain your life back!