Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta or Savella

darbymai59ddarbymai59 Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Chronic Pain
My doctor has put me on a trial of Cymbalta for three weeks, off for one week and then a trial for five weeks of Savella. I would appreciate hearing from any one that has information about either drug.

• I'm not familiar with Savella, but I took Cymbalta for almost a year.

My PM doctor prescribed the cymbalta. I was having some mild symptoms of depression (what I call "normal" feelings for anybody with chronic pain...something would be wrong if we weren't a bit distressed right?), and we hoped it could also provide some pain relief. I found that it did reduce my pain levels and helped emotionally as well. As far as pain reduction it was nothing huge, but every little bit helps.

I discontinued the cymbalta after I had an anaphylactic reaction to one of my meds. They didn't know which med caused it so they pulled me off everything.

Going on the cymbalta (as well as coming off) can be rough, so I'm not sure how your trial schedule will work. I had a lot of nausea and vomiting the first 2 weeks going on the cymbalta, and had a very "spacey" feeling the first 2-3 weeks as well. I'd say it took me a good month to get adapted to the drug and to normalize, so just being on it three weeks doesn't seem like it will be long enough to get a therapeutic dose. I believe they normally say it takes 6-8 weeks to build up a therapeutic level of antidepressants? I don't know how it will work since you will be on it for such a short duration.

Cymbalta has a reputation for being difficult to start and stop, so just be prepared for the side effects. I didn't have any trouble with side effects after the initial 4 weeks except a little bit of dry mouth, so if you do get side effects during the trial there is a good chance they would improve if you were to look at being on the cymbalta longer term.
  • I've done both. Savella is the same class of drug as Cymbalta with less side effects. Cymbalta was hell to come off of and Savella was a drop in the bucket.

• Thanks for your replys. I was given the Cymbalta for nerve pain, not depression. I hope the side effects coming off it won't be too bad since I'll only be on it for 3 weeks.

Dave, did the Savella help you. It sounds like its side effects are easier to handle.
  • I took both of them for nerve pain but not at the same time. Both helped but I'm very sensitive to these type of drugs. Savella raised my BP by 20 points which isn't good for someone with high BP to start with and Cymbalta aggravated my BPH condition. I seem to get all the off the wall side effects.

Good luck with the Cymbalta, I only took it for a month but had withdrawals for about a week and a half.

• I have been on Cymbalta for quite a while. I am fighting HBP for a while and was considering asking for a switch to Savella.
  • I tried Cymbalta for two days and thats all I could take. It made me feel so spaced out, severely nauseated, and I had zero appetite.

Enough with the down side, I have read several people had significant relief with it.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Everyone is different. I took Savella for almost two weeks. When I started taking the higher dose my chest hurt terribly. It stopped as soon as I quit taking it so I guess that was the cause. Hopefully it'll work for you.
    Good luck.
  • As far as I know you will find many more people at this time that have tried or are on Cymbalta than Savella.

Speaking from my experience with Cymbalta I agree with the others, it can be a rough start and a rough stop.

This is me speaking, but I would ask to do the Savella first. Since it may be less of an issue to start and stop (the only knowledge I have of that was posted above).

To me 3 weeks on Cymbalta would not seem enough to get past the initial phase and see if it works(IMHO).

I'd suggest you pose some questions to your doctor to be sure you understand what he is looking for.

Remember we are just a collective of people on the internet, not medical professionals at all.
  • Thanks to all of you for replying. I have already started taking the Cymbalta as of last Friday. I have had mild nausea so far. He gave me instructions to quit taking the Savella but not the Cymbalta. After taking it for just 3 weeks will I have to wean off?
  • I stopped Cymbalta cold turkey on my own because I was unable to empty my bladder. I was ramped down on Savella the same as I ramped up on it. It all depends what dosage you're taking and what your Doctor thinks.

This discussion has been closed.