Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Good from former L5/S1 fusions

ConnieGoldenCConnieGolden Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
I am 43 and have led a fairly active life and am loking at fusions of L5/S1 and disc replacement. I have tried injections and PT with not much relief. I am Type I insulin dependent for 30 years diabetic. I am scared to death but I feel that sx is the only option at this point in my life. I think that early intervention will make less nerve damage pain and recovery and my health diabetes wise isn't going to get any better but I want to hear from people that have had this and had good results. Is there anyone out there?

• Connie,
    Relative to the overall volume of fusions done the operation for many is successful where all the reasonable alternative have been progressively used and evaluated. Many here as myself are unfortunate that our surgery did not work and we are not reflective of the majority, only of those where it failed for whatever reason. It is difficult to quantify that deterioration of any nerve damage with any consistency is that we are all differing patients with unique histories prior to any invasive surgery.

We all want to hear positive outcomes and only you in consultation with your doctor know if this procedure will provide you with the optimum chance of improvement. You seem to have progressed through the normal progress for many chronic pain patients and only you know if you are delaying the inevitable on the basis that previous and historic procedures for you have not been successful.

For many our condition itself determines the next step and we have to move forward from a known evaluation to the next progressive step, it is natural that you are concerned and who would not be, these are major events with equal expectation.

We wish you well and many here understand those reasonable concerns that you have, we had the same ones when our time came, it is a leap of faith into the unknown and never easy.

Take care and good luck.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. ao glad you stopped by.. please be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input. good luck on your procedure should you decide to do that!! all the best! Jenny :)