Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vision Problems 5 weeks after ACDF C5-7

jenb13jjenb13 Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am wondering if anyone has had vision problems after ACDF surgery. I am almost 5 weeks out and have been back to work (desk job with computer work) for a couple weeks now. My neck itself is doing pretty good but the last couple days my vision has been blurry on the left side and I also have had a slight headache. I know recover takes many months, but I have not heard too many people state that they have had any vision problems so I am wondering if this had anything to do with the surgery and if I should be concerned? Thanks a bunch!!

• It may not be the same cause as you, but
    I had a vision disturbance and loss of being able to read, 6 weeks after my lumbar fusion.
    It was diagnosed as a TIA, but after 8 hours at the hospital, and CT scan and ultrasound of neck arteries and various other tests, I was given the all clear and told it must have been a migraine. (I didn't have a headache)

Do you suffer with migraine?
    If you are worried, I would get medical advice.

Take care :-)
  • Thanks for the info!

I have had migraines in the past but only 1 or 2 a year. When I did get them they were sever and my doctor even had to make sure I did not have a stroke as the symptoms were very similar. If it persists I think seeing the doctor will be a good idea :) Thanks a bunch!
  • There is something called Horners syndrome. It is when the autonervous(??) system is irritated. Amazingly the nerves for the eyes and other parts of the head run down from your brain into your neck and then back up. If they are disturbed during surgery they will cause problems. Usually they go away on their own.

One of the symptoms is having two different size pupils. So take a good look in the mirror. Another symptom is a droppy eye lid. And you vision can also be affected.

If you think this might be the case go to a good opthamologist to get checked out. Generally there isn't much they can do other than pin the eyelid if it bothers you. But it is a good idea to get checked.
  • I had this for a week or two after my ACDF on C5-6. I had blurry/double vision and quite a bit of trouble reading anything, which really pisses you off when you have been sitting around watching daytime TV for a couple of weeks. I was told by my surgeon that this was uncommon but not unusual, and nothing to be too concerned about. It went away after a couple of weeks.