Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3-month post op Revision MicroD (L5-S1) - Good news!

DNiceDDNice Posts: 1,962
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Good News
I had my 3-month post op.
Doctor said I'm doing quite well considering I'm just 3-months post op of a revision MicroD.

While I'm disappointed that I don't have feeling back and that I can't sit longer than 30-45 mins, I'm doing well. I can't deny it either.

I have not been on pain meds since week 6.
(note: this excludes the 1 tylenol with codeine and 1 valium I took after a business trip).

My doctor reminded me that sensory is the last thing to come back and could take 9 months. He told me that it's ok if I can't sit for more than 45 mins b/c I'm not supposed to, it's bad for my back. He is pleased at the 30-45 min timeframe and he said I actually did fairly well on my flight.

He told me not to feel bad about the minimal meds I had to take after the flight b/c airplanes are terrible ergonomically. He told me to occassional meds are ok but if frequency increases, to call him.

I'm posting because it's important for people to know that it is about patience and open communication with your surgeon. They are human too!

I am still taking ibuprofin & tyelenol in the am and pm but it's not the max dose and I'm not going backward. My back pain is only intermittent and tends to flare up when the weather temps drop (eh-hem, like the last few days).

My surgeon wants to talk to me in 2-3 months unless I get worse. He said any time I have an issue or question to call and based on the concern he'll decide if he needs to see me again. He is so good..he even said if I need to extend PT, he would be open to extending it.

I am afraid I will need him and he'll change hospitals but he assured me that I will always be his patient but hopes I'm one that never really needs him again. I'm glad he said that because I told him that if for some reason I did need him, I'd track him down...he laughed.

He told me not to lose focus on the rules. No bending, twisting, or lifting. He reminded me to keep up with the PT exercises, walking, icing and to be very cautious through the end of the year. He agreed that I should be careful about the hours I keep at work and to make sure I work remote if the office is getting in the way of me walking every 30-45 mins, etc.

So...I'm not out of the woods but I think the (positive) light is there if I keep the focus.

I'm cautiously optimistic!
I want to be that person who sticks around and can be that "success story" and help others learn from my experience.

You all have been amazing for me! I cannot thank you enough. I know I still need you b/c I do still have my bouts of depression. Thanks to each of you, I'm reminded that it's ok to be down as long as it's occassional. You folks here really understand chronic pain. I have it still but I have momments now where I feel "normal" and that's a huge relief.

No worries...I'm not going anywhere. I want to provide as much support as possible and continue to learn about my back so that I can try to keep it as healthy as possible.

I just wanted to share my "conservative" good news and thank you all.

• Thanks for posting the updates. That is good news.
    I don't think any of us lumbar folks look forward to sitting. I've had enough at 30-60 minutes and I'm 6 months into fusion.

I agree on the planes. I have purposely avoided and declined 2 business and 1 personal trip because it required flying. All were too many hours in the air. The seats in planes stink. Due to the security now they do not like you up wondering around for any reason short of bathroom break.

The BLT rules are a big deal. Those are what get you into the most trouble the quickest.

Keep up the good work. We do need more positive feedback here, always. I'm about to update my journal. I passed my 6 month exam :-)
  • That's good news you're doing well post-op and feeling normal at times and I wish you a full recovery and that one day you'll feel normal always! Keep up the good work healing with your restrictions. Thanks for the positive update. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • yes, I found on the trip out to the midwest, they discouraged standing. They didn't even want people up waiting for bathroom. Luckily I was 5 rows from the back so while they were serving the front, I stood for about 10-15 mins without them saying anything.

On the way home, different story. But luckily the seats were slightly better. I found during landing and take off, I need to lift myself up otherwise my tailbone hurts like the dickens. I also boarded the plane last...literally was the last passenger on. I paid the stupid $15-20 dollars to check my luggage (well, the company did but it's a hastle to wait for it but I've come to terms with it).

I dont' recommend flying if you don't have to.
  • WOO-HOO !! That's great news and you really do have an awesome surgeon. Do you have reason to believe he will leave his current position?

It's lucky your trip was last week. The weather is really lousy this week...38 degrees this morning and clear, after two straight days of drizzle. The type of weather than makes every spiney ache. Now that my head hurts, it is a distraction from my back and leg pain...but I don't recommend what I had done as a new form of "pain relief." :O
  • Gwennie...luckily my surgeon sounds as if he's staying put. He's been there 4-years but I do know it's a teaching hospital so I worry that doctors move on....but he told me he doesn't plan to at this point but that even if he does, I'm still his patient. I really want to hug him! He's been so amazing and because both my husband and I respect him, it makes it so much easier on my marriage too.

The weather here is 42 so not much better and yes, it's taking a toll on me. My surgeon said that weather like today 42, rainy, cold, damp, windy is bound to cause me to feel as if I'm going backward.

I really am happy I spent time & money to find this doctor. I love him and his nurse...they have been amazing during my recovery and have worked with me to ensure they 'protected me' for 3 months.

• Hi DNice -

Just wanted to add my congrats, sounds like you're doing really well and that you've found an excellent doc! Keep the good news coming

• Thanks DNice once again for the positive update on your second surgery, I really feel encouraged about my surgery tomorrow thanks to you.

However, I am flying to England on July 15th, this might be difficult based on what I read about your flight experience, maybe you have some good pointers for me...........???? I am also scheduled for a Hysterectomy on June 14th, I have alot to recover from in the coming weeks and I have to be strong enough to travel to England, my mum is very ill and thats the last few weeks of vacation time I have left before school starts again in August.

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

Glad to hear your recovery is going well, stay in touch.

• Great news to hear how well you are doing.
    Well done!
    I hope that your recovery will continue moving forward and you won't need the services of your surgeon again. He does sound great. Mine is very much a man of few words, which means I am often left with unanswered questions.

Wow, you have a lot of hurdles in your life at the moment.
    What part of England does your mum live in?
    I am in Sussex. I really hope and pray that your recovery from the hysterectomy a month before flying to England, goes quickly enough to mean that you are comfortable during the journey.
    I hope that your time with you mum is very special. :-)
    Take care
  • Congrat's D'Nice on a job well done recovering from your surgery!

I know you have been very cautious and thoughtful while you've been recovering and it really shows!

I love that you are starting to feel "normal" again! What a great feeling.

Hopefully as spring rolls into early summer, you will have seen the last of the cold and dreary weather for awhile!

Wishing you all the best!