Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Epidurals AFTER spinal fusion

thenadetthenade Posts: 137
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, has anyone had epidurals after their fusion? I have the same continuing right leg pain after my L4-L5 fusion. Now in the process of trying to find out what is causing it. Surgeon advised me that I do not have anymore compression on my nerves after he reviewed my last MRI. He is at a lost to explain my continuing symtoms. I asked him if an epidural would help. He said I could try it but had no idea if it would help. Could others share their experiences and knowledge please.

• fusion, and I also still have leg pain and numbness. I have had 2 injections since, and neither helped. My surgeon also says I shouldn't be in pain, but I am. I feel for you as I know what your going thru. I find that the more I am up moving around and doing things, I don't hurt as bad.
    Good luck
  • How long ago was your surgery? I find that when I am up and moving, my leg and butt pain gets worse. I have to sit down or lay down and it gets better. Sitting too long also brings it on. But I don't have any pain at night so at least I can sleep. Going to a neurologist in a few weeks to see if he can figure anything out. Have you tried anything else? Tnx-Naida
  • in anyone's experience with epidural injections after fusion also. I'm 6 months out and may have to start thinking about alternative ways to aleviate the pain. I'm also interested in comments from anyone that has had a radio-frequency ablation after a fusion.

• I now have bony overgrowth at my fusion site causing lateral recess stenosis. I have right leg pain. I've had 2 ESI's now, the last one giving me only about a month's relief. Third one next week I hope is the charm....

Best wishes,

• About a year and a half after my first spinal fusion,I had pain in the thigh and buttock area--I had 2 S.I joint injections,and finally a rhizotomy,which burns the ends of the nerves----that was last fall,and that seemed to take care of it.Even though the fusion was in good shape,I still had those problems,so it can happen!Don't let the drs.keep you from getting pain relief,keep after it!Jeannie
  • Hi,
    I just had my first epidural 2 weeks ago and my L4-S1 fusion was in Nov 2009. It did seem to help a bit and I am going for another one. Good luck! When your in pain it's worth a shot!!!
  • L1-L5 fusion 15 months post op. Now buttocks and leg pain (both legs) gradually intensifying. If I move wrong when I'm sleeping I get a rally big jolt that wakes me up. Im hoping the epidural works too.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 10/01/2016 - 2:25 PM
    Hello Smcgue

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

You can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion

Please click on this link for useful information

Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.