Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone experienced this?

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I was on oxycodone for about 8 months, along with Nuerontin. I started noticing more and more of what I would call short term memory loss, lack of motiviation, and feeling mentally 'foggy'. I have just been switched to the Fentanyl patch, and I"m wondering has anyone else experienced these symptoms on those meds, and if so, how long after getting off, did the symptoms go away? Thank you.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I have had a little bit of that. I blame it, in part, on the medications. Also maybe a little due to the fact that I have now been out of work for one year. Thus I am trying to do crossword puzzled and word searches to keep my brain moving. I have word recall problems. Like I knew my husband needed the tongs for the grill but I called it pliers. Or, I know exactly what word I want but it can't come to me for around 10 seconds or more.

I also find that I don't have as much recall as I did before. So, for example, I have a little notebook that lists each doctor's visit date and doctor's name (someone suggested this to me and it has been so valuable). It used to be is if you asked me when my appointment was last time I'd be able to tell you date and time. Now that seems to go in one ear and out the other. I will also be in the doctor's office and, for example, the surgeon told me I'd be in my brace for 3-4 months post-surgery. I kept having to ask my husband to remind me "what did he say? how many months?"
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I had this happen when I was on neurontin. The good news is when you stop it goes away.
  • its notorious for brain fog .in my experience it too only a week for my brain and eyes to return to normal .you should not have that problem with oxycodone .that tends to make you constipated and itch when you first start taking it .the itching soon goes but unless you use a laxative like movicol the constipation will stay with you ..this is normal when taking narcotics or a codeine type drug //again you should see your doctor if you have any worries about side effect from any drugs that you are taking
  • My husband noticed that I would ask him things and a little bit later I would ask him the same thing. I was only on Oxy.

He got a little mad at me about it, I knoticed that i had gaps in time where I didn't recall (Like I was sleeping)

Now that I'm off the pain meds it has been slowly clearing up.
  • Straker is probably right in that its probably the Nuerontin causing the memory issues. It's possible that the oxy can also cause memory lapses. I've been on oxy for over 3 years now and I'm constantly forgetting things. Of course it could also be because I'm getting older.

What were we talking about?

• I am taking oxycontin and oxynorm and find that my memory is going someplace else. Normally my memory is great but now rely on a notebook and also a whiteboard. My hubby will get a bit cross with me as I will deny all knowledge of conversations we have had. My hubby has just given me a bit of cheek as to my "lazy-brain" but we have learnt to laugh about it.When I look at the pain relief from the meds. it isn't so bad. Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • I experienced some tremendous memory issues while taking oxycontin, oxycodone and percocet. I have been on Neurontin for the last 11 years and don't find any memory issues I can relate to the Neurontin. The opiates were a different story. The freakiest part was that after I detoxed off the opiates, I had even bigger memory issues until things started falling back in place. I couldn't remember what my home looked like, who my neighbor was, stuff like that. So I started reading as much as I could every day, exercising my mind and I eventually regain these memories and have not had any issues since.

It was pretty disturbing when it happened, but I also found it refreshing and almost had a desperate need to read and exercise my mind again for quite a few months after the detox.

Hope you can figure it out.