Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hi all

johnro42jjohnro42 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
i have been reading this forum and see the supportive nature of all. i have been through hip to l3 back surgery which i have fully recovered from. due to an unfortunate accident in sept of 09, i am going back in for a c6-c7 disc removal and plate fusion on the 26 of this month. i see alot of peps have had good results with this. i actually pushed for this to resolve my pain because of the nightmare i went through with my back for 5 plus years. that experience left me addicted to pain meds and wondering why it took so long for the doctors to finally suggest surgery. this time i took the initiative to push for a fast result as i dont want to have to detox again. my biggest worry is recovery time. i had a great recovery from my back surgery, had bone stimulator and a body armor brace, but walked my butt off, and recovered fully from the surgery within 3 mths. was back at work then but light duty. i am hoping that the neck surgery wont be as bad. i am using the same surgeon and he has stated this will be a peice of cake compared to the previous surgery. for some reason an alarm went off in my gut. i am hoping he is correct. has anyone else had back then neck surgery? any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi there,
    I have not had back and then neck surgery.
    I have only had lumbar surgery.

I do know that cervical surgery is "easier" (and I say that with a cavea) in the sense that your lumbar area is carrying a significant load of your body where as the neck area isn't carrying as much of the weight.

I'm not sure about piece of cake but my guess is he's trying to tell you that if you experienced Lumbar, your expectation on cervical/neck surgery is probably not going to be worse.

Hopefuly others with neck surgery can help give you insight on their experience.
  • welcome to s/h. Ive been there, had cervical fusion in 1992 and 1995. Now ive also had a 2 level lumber fusion on 3/19/10. i also used the same surgeon for all 3 surgerys. The imho the cervical surgery were easier to recover from and a lot quicker recovery.Hope this helps answer your question. Im sure there will be more people helping you with this question My Best
  • Welcome to spine-health. Cervical surgery is one of those surgeries that the actual pain from the surgery may not be as painful as lumbar surgery providing it is being done from the front of the neck. The difference is the risk are much higher with the actual surgery itself, sense your cord is in that region where as it stops at l1 for the lumbar patients. So I am not really fond of anyone saying it is a cake walk cause if something does go wrong it can go very wrong. Often what happens with the cervical patients they feel pretty good and forget that they had a major surgery and will over do it and cause more issues. The best advice though is to have confidence in your surgeon and trust his/her abilities and do your home work on the surgery.

Once again welcome to spine-health. Take care.
  • I'm sorry to hear you had back problems for so long before surgery but doing well now. I wish you all the best and same success with your cervical fusion. I have mainly lumber issues but have some cervical issues also but no surgery yet.Keep us up to date how you're doing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i truly thank those that have responded, im sure you all know the apprehension that develops the closer you get to " that" date. after my lumbar surgery and the intense recovery process, i was hoping to never have to experience anything like that again. may i caution all here who do drive to sit as far back from your airbag as possible and always wear your seat belt as i was injured by an airbag deployment in a freak low speed accident. docs in the er told me if i didnt have the seat belt on i might not be here today. i have confidence in my neurosurgeon as i can walk and dance today ..thanks to him. just got worried about that piece of cake comment i guess. thank you all soo much for your responses, it eases my mind. i hope i can be of help also as i have been through the back thing. peace to you all and remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel! thank you, john
  • That is a saying that I have eliminated from my vocabulary!! To me it's a jinx.

Tamtam is so right. While cervical may seem easier in several ways it is still a major surgery and the complications are more severe than lower back surgery. In recovery the pain lessens more quickly which fools alot of people into thinking they can do more than they should.

Follow your doctors instructions carefully. A few extra weeks of recovery now can save you months or years of problems later.

I guess by now you have put together your pre and post surgery necessities. If not the list in the surgery forum is a life saver.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm very glad to hear that your lumbar recovery went so well. If we could all be so lucky...

Anyway, I've had a 3-lvl ACDF in Oct. 08 and a 1-lvl TLIF in Jan. 10. There simply is no such thing as a "piece of cake" when it comes to surgery, any surgery, but especially spine surgery. But I can say that the recovery from my ACDF was easier than from my TLIF. I think your doctor was trying to make you feel better about having to have this done because it seems very daunting to have someone go in through the front of your neck for surgery.

Like Tam said, generally cervical surgery is more difficult for the surgeon but easier on the patient (going in anteriorly, anyway) and a lumbar surgery is easier on the surgeon but more difficult on the patient.

When I was told that I needed my lumbar surgery (same surgeon as my ACDF), I told him that I figured it would even out, that I had a 3-lvl ACDF and with a 1-lvl TLIF it should work out even, don't you think? Uh, no, he said, lumbar is your core and makes life much more difficult during recovery. Well, he was right.

So I'm hoping that your ACDF goes well and you have a speedy recovery. It's no "piece of cake", but it's definitely doable, especially having had such good results with your lumbar surgery. You'll find moving much easier after your ACDF, at least I did, but I'm wondering if your going to be wearing a brace of any kind?

Take care and please keep us posted.