Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shocked about Gwennie

noseovertailnnoseovertail Posts: 387
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Matters of the Heart
I realize there are 2 other threads (that are now locked!) about this, but I haven't logged into this site in quite some time and it appears I am late in getting the news. I just wanted to post so that Gwennie could see this, as I'm sure she is lurking (I hope so, at least) and able to read what people are saying about all of this.

I did not leave this site because I was getting better. I left this site because I too felt incredibly bullied by certain moderators on here. Threads were locked for no real reason, things were said to me that were beyond rude from the mods and some other members and to be honest coming here just made me feel worse. Gwennie and I clashed some of the time but she was always well spoken, gave great advice and I know for a fact that in her signature line it said that she was NOT a medical professional.

I know this will get locked, and who knows I'll probably get banned as well. I just wanted to post this because I'm sickened at the Big Brother-ness of this site. People are here because they are in PAIN, they have nowhere else to turn to for support sometimes. It's a freaking internet forum! It's the INTERNET! Lighten up, seriously. And if you have a PM that offends you.. just delete it!!

Sorry, I'm done ranting now. Thank you to those who helped me through my insanely difficult ordeal. I'm sorry I haven't been back to check up on everyone. :( :( :(

• Noseovertail, who have been very shocked and saddened by Gwennie's banning.
    We can't understand what has really happened and miss her a lot.

How are you doing in your recovery? I remember that you had a very difficult start to your recovery, and hope that things are much better for you now.

Did you manage to go back to work?
  • The other two threads were closed when they became nothing supportive and merely a platform for bashing the site administration or other members. Your post is a perfect example of that. You could have simply made a post telling Gwennie of your support and left out comments about "big brother-ness" and your disdain for how the site is run and moderated. Being gone from the site and returning only to talk trash about the site does nothing in the realm of contributing to the general membership of Spine Health. It's merely a platform from which to stir dissent yet once again.

• I to was shock. Gwennie gave out great advice. We all miss her. I am not sure just what happen but maybe they could give her another chance. I read a lot of her advice and I am still uncertain why they ban her.

• Yes, Gwennie did give good advice.

While the majority of our members here have enough common sense to know that any questions should be run by your doctor, there are some who believe everything they read on the internet. Basically, Gwennie did the research other members could not/would not/did not do for themselves. The information Gwennie gave could be found anywhere on the internet. All you have to do is google it.

There was a thread that mentioned the mods, authority group or administrator do not help the member population much, if at all. THIS is a prime example of why. We are way to busy moderating, defending, etc. Making sure people keep in line with the rules and guidelines. We try to catch every post that may be considered insulting to someone or a direct, blatant violation of said rules. We would much rather be on this forum helping a new member, an older member, someone facing surgery, etc.

Plain and simple, Gwennie broke the forum rules. That's it; end of subject. If any of you know of someone who is breaking forum rules let us know. We have a large membership and lots of posts to read through. Send us a PM with a copy of the link to the particular thread, and if possible the reply number.

We do not police the private messages (unless someone forwards it to us). We cannot treat members differently (although, truth be told - Gwennie did receive numerous requests to tone down her posts before being formally warned; we [the mods, authority and admin group] did not want to ban her). The ball was placed squarely in Gwennie's court. The outcome would have been much different had she just followed the rules. It was an agonizing decision, but one that had to be made. Were it anyone else, it would have been done a LONG time ago.

Now please, people - can we get back on track?

I do not want to see anyone leave this site. However, if I am not happy with a particular forum, I am free to go elsewhere. I would definitely reach out to my friends and let them know how to reach me.

For what it's worth - this is still a great site. There are great people here. We all need to have a place where we are validated and understood. Our families and friends do not understand what pain is about. We do and we know that we can receive the support we need here. Sometimes, we are at a position where we can actually give back.

Let's please keep this in mind. Let's please move on.

Thank you.

• You guys blocked her IP/computer from accessing this site! Therefore she can't even access it to get help from the informative side, not even the forum. That is absurd.
  • When is this all going to stop? We are all adults here. When we came to this site we read the rules and agree to abide by them. If we break a rule we have to expect the restrictions that come with it.

Gwennie is a really nice woman who tried very hard to help others. Along the way she broke the rules. There are at least 5 admins who were involved in this and probably many more people behind the scenes that we don't know about. I can't believe that they are all lying to us so Gwennie received at least 4 warnings and continued to break the rules. Not once did she mention this to any of us - think about that for a bit and you will realize that she knew she was wrong or she would have challenged it. I hate to see anyone cut off from help. But Gwennie was warned.

It is not our business to know what went on. As adults we need to accept this unfortunate situation and move on. Spine health is a website hosted by a company. We are free participants for our own benefit. They owe us nothing and we have no right to this site. The admins are volunteers and don't deserve our wrath only our thanks and praise. So to be blunt - grow up and act like a responsible adult.
  • What's done is done. It's over. I know there are still hard feeling, and as much as we'd love to see everyone stay regardless of how they feel, anyone is free to leave these forums as this is a free site.

One member does not make this the great site it is and the world will not crumble without that one person. It's the collective knowledge, caring and support from the multitudes of members that makes this the best spine forum site on the web and it will remain that way in the weeks, months and years to come.

The owners, admins, mods and authority members work very hard (probably much harder than you realize) to keep this place going with over 12,000 members and there is no place in our leadership team for lying, cheating, favoratism or over-moderating.

Let's move on. Again, what's done is done and it's now a moot point. Let's get back to members helping members, after all, that's what we're all here for, isn't it?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

I agree

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • This thread is now locked. Any further threads on this topic will be locked and/or deleted. Enough has been said on both sides. It's done. Move on.