Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Turned the Corner?!

ZackZZack Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I was told I've turned the corner........
definition - Fig. to pass a critical point in a process. The patient turned the corner last night. She should begin to show improvement now. The project has turned the corner. The rest should be easy.
Has anyone been told this? Wondering because it still hurts up & down my spine, from neck to butt.
04/09 Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy C5-6,C6-7

• Geez pretty soon you'll be square dancing - lol. I would literally take a step back to a neurologist to be evaluated. If the surgeon feels your surgery is complete you should see what else is going on.

My experience with surgeons is they want their work to be "good". So if your incision heals and you have no surgery complications they are done. They don't want to find out that they missed something or did something wrong. My surgery left me with a fractured vertebra and I think my surgeon is you know whating in his pants right now. He is hoping it heals - guess he won't be happy at my next visit....

Another thought here - while I believe continuity in care is important sometimes it is better to get a fresh opinion. Doctors don't like to be wrong and I think some are blinded to the truth when this happens. So go back to your neurologist or find a new one if necessary.
  • Todays diagnosis was scar tissue pain, as follows:
    One of the largest problems with traditional back or neck surgery is the formation of scar tissue. In the body’s attempt to heal itself, it creates tough, fibrous tissue to repair muscle, skin and other body parts that were cut or torn during the surgery. When this happens internally near the spine, the scar tissue can build up and press on nerves exiting the spinal canal, causing back or neck pain, the very problem you were trying to solve.

• Hi MsJulie!

Nope, never been told I'd turned a corner but in your situation that strikes me more as wishful thinking--like maybe if he says it to you, that will make it true.

Am so sorry to hear that you still hurt. This unusual experience has really done a number on your outlook for spinal surgeries (as if you hadn't already said that!). Hope you never need another one, but for now we're just pulling for you to get over this one! ( ( ( MsJulie ) ) )

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Nope, I will never have another surgery period, unless its an emergency.
    Last week, my OS that helped me through recovery the past year performed a series of test on me. Like touching toes, reaching, throwing ball, jump rope, skipping, etc, and all were done without pain. My BP had been at 175/125 & was now down to 110/75. He said his ultimate goal this past year was to keep my pain minimal enough to allow me to exercise & is happy with the results. He said to expect some more ups & downs, as I still showed signs of scar tissue formation & to get gentle massage to help break it up. My only complaint these days is morning stiffness. My husband said he'll give me therapy for that!
    ; )
    Linda, remember I had the frozen shoulder syndrome!