Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

elviseelvis Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
i was told that i had arthritis in my shoulder and fingers on both of my hands i get lots of pain every day i have to ask my husband and kids to help with peeling the spuds ever day i have had pain in my right hip for a long time now and i went to my doc to see if i could have a xray on it which he done got told know that i have osteoarthritis in both i now have to use walking sticks i cant sleep at night as i am in pain my husband is very good to me even though he as a bisability as well he as ddd of the spine and all so pain in his left hip and left knee he also some time full to the floor when he wals as well as me i wish we were both free from pain i am only 49 and he is 51 no painkillers help me at all

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    I think everyone knows about arthritis but I am not sure everyone understands the different degrees of it and what it can really do.

I think the first thing anyone who feels or knows they have arthritis, need to determine if it is Osteoarthritis (OA)or Rheumatoid (RA).

A very simple distinction:
    OA Breakdown of cartilage

RA Body Immune system attacks joints

With osteoarthritis, which can start to impact people as young as in the mid 20's has four stages

1 - Normal Cartilage providing cushion and lubrication to the joints.
    2 - Slight wearing of the cartilage, probably the first time you may experience some discomfort
    3 - Cartilage is really worn and lubrication of the joints begins to stop. Pain can increase during this phase.
    4 - Cartilage is gone, so it basically bone on bone situation. This is very painful and exists 24x7

Diagnosing the degree of arthritis is best done via X-Rays.

I am at the Phase 4 with arthritis in my shoulder.
    I just had a complete shoulder replacement and am scheduled to replace my other shoulder in September.

Its been difficult since surgery just getting around (use of one arm), but the arthritis pain in that shoulder is gone and I am just having acute pain as a result of the surgery. That pain I know will go away.

What troubled me and also puzzled my doctors is that this has been going on for about 4 years now and normally cortisone injections helped me for 6 months at a time. Last October that stopped and I had 3 sets of X-Rays before my April surgery. The
    arthritis advanced so rapidly that my shoulders were almost totally deteriorated.

So hopefully you can talk to your doctor about getting X-Rays just so you know at what degree your arthritis is in.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • was told on the 17 may that i do have Osteoarthritis
    in both my hips i am in a lot of pain in my right hip more then the leaft one i also have it in my left shoulder and fingers on both hands i take ibuprofen 400g 4 times a day but it does not help can anyone tell me what i can use for the pain thanks
  • Listen to our patriarc, PapaRon.

There are a lot of medications out there to help osteoarthritis. I have an 80-year-old mother-in-law that has osteo and she's able to control it to a certain extent with medications. Yeah, she walks a little slow, but she gets around and still enjoys her life, even with the pain that's left over after the meds.

Get to the doctor. They can help with OA these days more than ever before. Just be honest with what helps and what doesn't until you find the right mix.

• hi! :H sorry you are not finding pain relief with your pain meds.. i know it took quite awhile to find the right combination, but my pain doctor was willing to work with me and try different meds and combinations till we found what works. now i am able to have a fairly normal life alot of the time... so please don't give up.. you were given some good advice!! good luck! stop by anytime! Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.