Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

time between surgeries

mikeavmmikeav Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
ive heard that many acdf'ers have to have more surgery years later.depressing.
for those that have had to get it done again,how long between surgeries?
mine was done in nov 07....here recently ive been having discomfort and numbness in both hands...

• Hello,

My first neck surgery was 12-8-08 from the front C4-7 with plate, cage and 8 screws. 9 months later they found out my neck never fused due to the plate came loose. So Dec. 6, 2009 they went through back of my neck and put rods and screws from C4-7.
    I am now fused but my pain is so bad I have applied for SSDI.

• Mike some people have surgery pretty quickly because the fusion didnt happen or they have hardware issues.

Others have deterioration of other levels above or below the fusion because the fusion changes how your spine works. This is usually a lot longer. I've seen peeps on here at 2-5 years and then some who are past 20 years. This is such an individual thing.

I've noticed also that if you are doing a fusion as a result of an accident it seems to be longer as opposed to someone who has spine degeneration. Makes sense since someone with spine disease is more likely to have it at other levels or have faster wear on the rest of the spine.

THis is just what I have noticed in posts from others. Like everything else nothing is absolute. For every rule there is an exception and for very exception there is an anomoly.
  • Hello Mike,

I had DDD and hernia's in my cervical. C5/6 was fused with all the fixings. A year and 2 months later I was yawning and my C6/7 herniated slapping into the right exit nerve root - caused permanent damage. As you can see by my signature, that is my latest EMG and MRI, plus diagnostic results. Like Kris said, some of us have issues due to disease and such. I also agree that an injury to one level *might* not affect the other levels as quickly. Take care Mike. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • thanks...
    my injury was weightlifting related...i continue to lift,omitting certain movements such as overhead lifting,but sometimes i feel i push too hard.
    god,i cant imagine having to go through this stuff again.
    im 43,btw
  • Hiya Mike,

Though issues for my spine have been there for years, I was 42 when "surgery" started being put on the plate! Again though, I had pretty hard vertical, lateral and horizontal impact issues when I crashed. Hopefully you will not run into "future" issues, but remember, *NO* guarantees will be given as no one has a crystal ball. I hope you get fixed and that covers you for years to come!! *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I've had a 3-lvl ACDF and because I have an incomplete fusion at C6/7, my surgeon and PT said I'll most likely need surgery again, this time posteriorly to put in a cage at that level to stabilize it. But until I have any significant radiculopahy associated with it, I'm going to ignore it.

I think that PT after surgery is such an important thing because one of their goals is to work on the way you hold yourself, walk, etc., to put less pressure on the levels above and below your fusion. My PT's goal, both lumbar and cervical, was to make sure that the levels that are the most stressed by the fusion remain strong and therefore won't require surgery in the near future.

It's never a given that you'll need another surgery once you've had one, so don't assume that. You can learn ways to take care of your neck to minimize the risk of further surgery. Most spineys try not to think 5 or 10 years down the road, they just face what's happening now and do what they have to do to keep what is done strong and remain so.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    MY first was done in 2001, second in 2002. third 2004,
    fourth 2006, fifth 2006, sixth 2009 and seventh 2010.
  • Mike,

One thing i think is important for members to realize that one of the risk to surgery is the need for further surgeries down the road. Now with that said I have been around quit sometime, while we do have a few repeaters coming compared to the numbers that post here there is not that many re appearing. Myself I call it just bum luck. Those risk of what can go wrong in surgery everyone signs off on. Well my neck must have been reading them at the same time my eyes were. So I don't ever like to use my case as a informative because this is the exception to the rule kind of thing.

After fusion surgery you are more subject to adjacent disc disease, so it is always kind of in the back of your mind. I have a routine everyday that is just part of my life now doing exercise and stretches for my neck. Sometimes you may get adjacent disc disease but it may be managed with conservative treatment and thus no surgery is needed. Which is why if you suspect trouble go get it checked out early so it can be managed with some conservative treatments. There just really isn't any time frame for another level to fail.
  • yea..i guess i worry cuz my job is somewhat physical...then you add in the weightlifting...im sure im a high risk...