Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here we go!

Gunny 1GGunny 1 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of the good advice I have read as well as reading about everyone's experiences both good and bad. Well Thursday May 27th is my big day. I will Be hopping in my car and heading down to LosAngeles for my ALIF. Unfortunately it is 300 miles one way but no choice in that. Right now i am wound up about as tight as you can get. I am a really high strung individual and I do not do hospitals and surgery very well. Tons of anxiety and panic attacks when I get near places like that.Doctors have given me meds to help but really no help at all. I am so looking forward to getting out of pain and getting back to life! It has been a really long 16 months. My heart goes out to the people who have dealt with these issues for years. I have a whole new understanding of back/chronic pain like I have never had before. It has become the most all consuming thing I can say that I have ever experienced. Living like this 24/7 at the age of 44 is rediculous! That is why I am so anxious to get this fixed and hopefully can move on after the healing takes place. I will be sure to check in once I get home from LA and let you know how i am doing. Thank you for this website and all who contribute to it. I welcome all prayers from those of you who wish to do so. Thank you. Steve

• Best of luck to you, Gunny1!
  • Best wishes for you and your surgery and recovery. Just wondering how you will drive back home? Hopefully you're staying with a friend or rehab hospital afterwards. Prayers for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wishing you the best for your upcoming surgery and recovery!

Soon you will be on the road to recovery and a painfree and pain reduced life!

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Be sure your pain is well managed before you leave the hospital! If it's not, don't let them send you on your way!

Wishing you the best!
  • I wish you the best of luck for your surgery. they will take good care of you. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you after the surgery.

Wishing you the very best,

• I'm also wondering how you're going to get home. You will definitely NOT be able to drive home. I had my surgery done about 150 miles from home and I can tell you, I don't remember much about the ride home I got from a friend, after being in the hospital for a week. You are going to be heavily medicated for a while. I hope you have some good plans. Any way you can take the train and a taxi? That might be best.

I'll be thinking of you Thursday.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    For the ride home make sure your car is full of blankets and pillows of all sizes. I can't imagine getting sufficiently comfortable in the car unless you have the ability to really customize your seat. And see what medications they may prescribe for the way home to make the ride a bit easier.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks everyone for the concern about the ride home. Unfortunately I have no choice because of where I live. We so not have trains, or a commercial airport. I plan on taking extra pillows and blankets and anything else that might help. I do plan on asking for something extra to take when I do leave the hospital to help me sleep or something. One of the down sides to living in such a small town but still fortunate to liver where i do and be able to make a living. Thanks again! See ya soon. Steve
  • Good luck on your upcoming surgery and the drive back and forth. I'll say a prayer that this takes care of your problems and that you improve every day and that your recovery is as quick as possible (it won't be, you know, but you will recovery in time).

Try to stay calm and keep you eye on the prize. I look forward to your post-op report once you're able.

• You are strong Steve!

You can do this and will get better. Think about how you will feel when you exhale that sigh of relief after getting your life back.

Hang in there! :)

• Hi Steve,

Wishing you the best on the 27th, let us know how it went when you can. I'd also suggest you leave the hospital with plenty of ice packs - they can be real helpful along with the pillows/blankets.

• You'll be fine w/ anxiety once u get there. I was the same way and said I was really nervous and if they could give me something to calm me down. I forget the name but as soon as they got an IV in and gave me it I felt so fine w/ everything. It was actually like euphoria feeling...

Have a speedy recovery and remember how talented these surgeons are. You will do fine!
  • packs are an excellent idea. I also hope you have someone who is driving you home!! I wish you all the best. Fusion surgery takes a long time to recover from, but I have found that I'm glad I did it. I just pray I never fall and hurt myself like that again.

Best wishes for the best outcome.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• Wishing you well with your surgery tomorrow. I'll be praying for you and your surgical team. How long will you be in hospital? Would staying a couple of nights close to the hospital be an option, if necessary?

I hope that you are feeling positive and resigned to have the surgery today. I was also very scared about my PLIF surgery, but once I realised that I had to face it and came to terms with that, I started to feel calmer. (Prayers helped me greatly too :-))