Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Edema in my feet, anyone been there?

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi there, IMISS is back again. I just started physiotherapy officially (not just walking endlessly in my neighborhood/hospital grounds for the past 5 months). I found it to be nothing more than a deep tissue massage, which I've had much better at regular spas. Anyway, trying to keep an open mind about everything!:) The only strange event that occured since I left physiotherapy on Monday, I began to notice that my feet have swollen. I don't mean like a stubbed toe or anything, I mean, google edema (of course once i found out what the word was myself lol) and whoa!!! That's what it looks like, I have balloon feet, that are very painful and feel like they are going to explode, but I don't touch them out of some paranoid fear that they might actually do that!

I called for a gp appointment, and was lucky enough to get in to see him at 1150 uk time, and I am hoping there is an answer as simple as the internet, which is...keep your feet elevated above your head as you lay down, and besides my mandatory walks to keep from muscle stiffness, I've been following that internet advice ever since I read it. No reduction in swelling, and it seems to be moving up my leg. Yikes. Fear. Sigh.

Anyone ever been through the fear? No medical advice wanted, just wondering if you have your own stories so i don't feel so alone.

thanks everyone!

i miss

• Sorry to hear about your feet swelling. I had my feet swell up when I first had my back injury and also when I started taking Lyrica for nerve pain. My Dr. gave me a small dose of lasix a water pill and also I wore a TED stocking or compression bandages for awhile during the day. I also started using my stationary recumbent bike a few minutes a day to get the circulation going in my feet. I also put my feet ice for a few minutes a day after walking and put my feet up as much as possible. Thankfully the edema resolved in a few months and I was back to normal. This is my experience only and I'm glad your Dr. is seeing you today for an assessment. I couldn't even wear my shoes as the swelling was so bad but was able to wear sandals. Keep us posted how your Drs appointment goes. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i am 8 weeks post-op and the past couple of weeks i also have noticed swelling in my feet and ankles.
    its not extreme or painful and i can just barely see my ankle bone, but they are swollen.
    i havent said anything about it just kinda figured it was due to being laid-up cause of surgery.
    now you got me wondering???
    i already had a docter appt. set up for 6/8 with pain docter, and 6/10 with my neuro. gonna ask them about it when i see them now.
    im hoping its just because of inactivity, will let you know what they say.
    My Best to you.
  • Howdy IMISS!!

Within like the 2nd week of taking Lyrica, I had megga swollen feet. The swelling actually extended just above my knees. I felt like I had the lower legs (looked like it too) of a 400 lb person! Since it was staying in the legs, I was advised to watch it to let them know if it got worse or moved up in my body - it didn't. Like Charry, the movement on my elliptical bike helped a LOT. I've since been swimming (dog paddle actually), and using my elliptical daily. I almost have my "legs and feet" back to normal! As a side note, I never had pain due to the swelling except for a bit on the top of my feet near the toes when it was at its worst.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • As I'm on to my new worry/post for the evening, I will say that I was sent to the ER about the edema last thursday, and the ultrasound showed no blood clot. But, if it does happen again to you all in the future, do not hesitate to get your gp on the phone ASAP, as that was the immediate concern of my doc less than 10 minutes in his office..it's worth the wait at the hospital, because as we all know blood clots are no joke.

take care everyboday, and thanks again for all of your feedback!:)
  • IMISS,

Good evening! Just wondering if your swelling has gone down, and or are you feeling better? I hope you are having a pain free weekend. Take care. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.