Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone tell me about cauterizing nerves

cherrybabyccherrybaby Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone
It has been a little while since I have been on here. So quickly about me. I am a mother of 3 youngest is 7 so not to small of kids in my home. I 2007 i was hurt at work originally diagnosed with sprain and strain of the lower back then I was told that I have DDD and Spinal Stenosis. I had a level one fusion with hardware July of 08' after three months of recovery I felt good for 3 months and then the pain all came back slowly. In October of 09' I squatted down to pick something off the floor and it felt like someone put a knife in my back and pulled down. I was in tears, I was told that the hardware was tearing and ripping my mussel and tissues in that area. So in December 09' right before Christmas they took the hardware out. It has not helped at all.
The Doc. now wants me to come in and do the injection that numbs the nerves. To see if doing the cauterizing of the nerves will help me out.
So what all do they do and do they work??? What I have read on other sites they are saying that it take up to 8 weeks for them to take full effect and last up to two years.
So if you have had this done will you tell me if it is worth it or not.
Thanks so much everyone for you help.

Meds that I am currently on
Gabapentin 1200 mg 3 times day
Lortab 7.5 1 to 2 times a day( do not want to be on pain
meds been on since 2007)
Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg3 times day

• i myself had not had this done {its about the only thing } but many on here have so just wait for some answers
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had a Radio Frequency Ablation done in my SI joint and it did work for about 9 months. It can be done again so I'm headed for another one in the same spot in the next few months. They gave me sufficient versed and demerol that I don't remember much, I know there was pain but I don't remember it at all.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I had that procedure done and it didn't work for me...My DDD and Stenosis I guess was too advanced. I went in in fact twice to have that done and it didn't help me at all. I did then have L3-S1 fused and I have had the best year of my life since. It took about nine months for me to get total healing but now I am golfing again, something I thought I would never do and I am totally off pain medication, something I also thought I would never do. So, for me the nerve cauterizing didn't work (though I did have it done in my leg for another issue having to do with my ankle and it did work there)but I have heard from two people for whom it did last two years. Everyone is different and the best advice I can give is that if you trust your doc, just follow their orders...

Good luck.

• I had RFTC done at 5 levels- I am about 8 weeks out I guess on the right side and about 4 weeks on the left.

I had only about 7 days of increased pain on the right. The left side had significantly increased pain for about 2-3 weeks, and I had to get a substantial increase in my meds.

Now, the left is feeling quite a bit better, but the right is not better- it was for a while, but now is very sore. The part that is sore is not what we tested in the diagnostic block, though, so might not be related to facet nerves at all- it's an issue that wasn't really bothering me much at the time, but has off and on since the accident.

Only downside is slight numbness in my toes on the left, which may or may not be related (I also had a couple of falls on my butt in the same time period and I do have an unstable L-spine w/ disk disease, I can hardly blame it all on him and his needles!).
  • I went in last Friday and had the trial injection done. Unfortunately it did not give me any relief.
    I am having a problem that when I am sitting and I strech my legs strait out it is causing pain in my back do not think it has anything to do with the shot so I need to take to the doc. about it when I go in on Thursday.