Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Strange Feeling

emtchickieeemtchickie Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Last night was the first time I noticed this. My middle back (like where your bra fits around) I had this moderate back pain on each side of my spine then it ended up coming around to my ribs making it hard to breathe kind of like someone was sitting on my chest. I have neck issues C5-6 ACDF almost yr ago with almost no fusion and got informed month ago I have C6-7 and L5-S1 ruptures too. Can it be from either one of these area or is there a chance it is the T levels? Doctor told me I have DDD and Spinal Sten. and some arthritis issues (looking further into) Just want to see if anyone else out there has had this issue and what was told made this happen. Thanks.

• Sounds like Tspine although the c6-7 can also go to this area. I would contact your doctor and see what he thinks.
  • Howdy EMT,

When I started getting symptoms similar to what you have in your post, my NS had me get an MRI as well as NCV/EMG. Mine is being caused by DDD and spurs at the T8/9 & T9/10 levels. Basically I get a pain feeling like "in a lung", or more commonly like my ribs are not lined up right. 24/7 is a 3-4" high area just below my breasts of high sensitivity that I call my "burning ring of fire." I can touch it, and put pressure on it, but lordy help me if clothing material just brushes the area!

Like Kris said, I think too I have heard or read that the lower cervical/upper thoracic can also mimic similar issues? Please let us know what you find out. Gentle supportive *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • does the area feel sometimes like its hot, crawling sensations?
    Does a rib feel out of place in your sternum?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

I have experiences this quite a lot after my decompression surgery on L4/5/S1, I also have cervical stenosis, for the last 10 years I have had to wear sports bras as within 5 mins of wearing a back fastening the nerves would be so aggrivated I had to take it off. Only recently have I found a style of back fastening that is comfortable. The sensation of finding it hard to breath, with pain in ribs and lungs, in my case I found was often caused by sitting on furniture that was not suitable when visiting friends and relatives, a flare up caused by this could last up to a month.

TC Liz xx

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Well I thank everyone with this still not sure what it is or causing it. Its now moved up a little hire then where my bra goes across but still hurts and I feel like I am being squeezed from front and back. The problems I have now are laying back in my recliner and in bed i can't lay on my sides it pushes my shoulders in which makes my center back hurt. The strap really doesnt bother me but i wear it a little loose so its ok. I just would like to know if its my T level or related to my C6-7 issues. Will be seeing doc on June 25 so maybe he can clear it up. So far there the pain is like a bruise feeling nothing visible when you look at it but the ribs just feel like heartburn..never had it hurt like something was broken but just beat up..so who know!!! Thanks everyone..Lori
  • Howdy Lori,

Hopefully they will find it is related to your C6/7 and not more crap now going on lower. I'll send positive energy your way, and fingers crossed they will figure this out for you. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.