Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

life after surgery

bbroni15bbbroni15 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a fusion on Feb 18th for years I complained of back pain, then one day I picked up a laundry basket got a pain that sent me to the floor and slowly my Left leg started going numb.
Had an MRI turns out my L5 ruptured, and my L4 and L3 are bulging
Now I just came back to work but my back is still killing me, does it ever get better? can I go back to my Zumba, Core Rhythm tapes and salsa dancing??

If any one is going through this give me some hope!! :) thanks

• Sorry to hear you're still having pain post-op surgery. I haven't had surgery but wanted to welcome you here. I know surgery can take a year or longer after fusion to have less pain. I hope it gets better for you. Have you been to Physiotherapy yet? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi, and thanks :)
    No my doctor suggested it but I just returned to work and been through therapy before I just don't have the time. I know what exercises to do...I think I may end up having to go because my leg is still very weak and numb at times :(
    Have a great day!!

• I so understand the time problem. I just stopped PT because they identified a new problem that it won't help. It is such a relief to no go. What is a 45 minute session ends up taking about 1 1/2 + and thats twice a week.

I would suggest making time for a few sessions. Make it clear from the start to the PT that you can't keep going there but that you need to learn the proper exercises. Any reputable PT will understand this and be happy to help. As active as you were prior to surgery you won't have any problem learning and doing them on your own. But learning the right way is key.
  • Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion I will sure try, and good luck with your future surgery hopes everything goes well
  • Wow! I am in awe that you are back to work. My 360 fusion was 2/26 and I am not back to work yet. Have a follow up with my surgeon on the 15th and anticipating trying to go back then.

I, too would recommend going to PT. There is so much more to the spine and muscular system than exercises. Maybe you could go a couple times a month, have them show you things you can do at home~do them for a week or two, then go back and have them show you what is next.

I have been going to PT. I am constantly getting out of aleignment from muscle spasms, inbalance, weakness etc which results in one side of my pelvis, or the other, getting stuck in anterior or posterior pelvis tilt. Then I start getting addition pain and swelling in my knee and ankle from being out of aleignment. If the PT knows what to do, it just takes a few minutes to fix, but I can't do it myself.

I know you have probaly been told many times, but you are still early in the phases of recovery! Hang in there, but do consider PT and strengthening your core to help hold your spine in aleignment.

Best of luck and wishing you the best!
  • Hi nice to meet someone with similar problems :) Yes I am considering the TP now more than ever THANKS TO YOU GUYS.

What you say about the pelvis tilt etc kind of makes sense maybe that is what is wrong with my hip, sometimes when I walk it pops like my bones are going out of place.

I had to go back to work, my husband lost his job late March and my income tax run out :(

Good luck with your recovery and thanks so much for the advice

my best, have a great one