Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feels like repeatedly being stung!

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey spiney friends! My left hip has been really bothering me. It feels like I am repeatedly getting stung by a wasp! It is the type of pain that makes me scream out loud involuntarily!

I showed my hubby where it hurts, he says it is right inbetween my 2 back incisions. My bone graph incision is a diagonal that goes across my left bum, from the top of my hip at the side, diagonal down.

I know we are not doctors, but I am just looking for others opinions and experiences.

Does it seem like nerve pain, or bone pain. My hubby who has had 2 fusions thinks it's bone pain. But I have no idea, as I'm not sure what bone pain feels like. But this is aweful and I am miserable.

In addition, it has been storming here, during the night and today too. In the middle of the night we had strong rain with lightening and clasps of thunder!

So....every living thing (minus the turtle) was in my bed!! And of course, I was clinging to the edge with very little room! :)

Thanks friends for helping me to figure this out!
advertisement

Comments

• Howdy Jayhawk!! :)

Sorry you're going through this. I haven't had surgery in my back yet, but I've had similar in my right hip. Not frequently, but enough to 'yelp' loudly when it does. Most times it does it once, and then a few days later again, occasionally I will get like 3 or 4 within a minute or so. I am pretty sure on me it is nerve 101.

I banged my thigh pretty bad one year, and ended up with a deep bone bruise. The pain was totally different than the 'sting' I feel in my hip. For me, the bone pain was deep, steady most times and would throb. The hip sting is just that, like someone takes an 18 gage needle, hits me with it and yanks it out.

I hope you feel better soon. Did you call your surgeons office and ask them about what this could be? Please let us know what you find out. Support *hug*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Brenda, to me it seems "nervy" too! It has happened before, but this is unrelenting today! It is the kind of nerve pain that just makes me crazy!

I haven't called in yet, trying to tough it out! But, if I don't feel better by this afternoon, maybe I will!

ugghh......

Maybe it was from me laying on my hip clinging to the edge of the bed with my daughter clinging to me last night during the storm! Dang Texas storms ~ hurricain season has begun....
  • Aarrgghhh is a good answer! If it is the same that I get, not only does it hurt in bursts, but just the 'no warning zing' and my unguarded response - argh! :)

I find what has helped a couple of times is I deeply rub the area including dead center on the 'sting' area. Not sure if it works mind you or coincidence, but most times it backs down or off...:)

You comment about your daughter and your position. I seem to get mine most after I sit with my right leg folded sideways (1/2 indian sitting). So you could be on to something there. Maybe some rubs, stretching, relax a bit? I hope it calms down. *HUG*

Brenda
  • Scar tissue, also known as adhesions, is the body's way of repairing damaged tissues. Perhaps these are pressing on your nerves. I had that problem awhile back. Part of recovery, and very painful.
    Just dunno because so many things make us hurt during recovery. Sorry you are in pain my friend.
    That storm woke my azz up at 1 a.m. & had to turn on TV to help muffle the thunder. LOL
    Tx storms,,,,,,,,,,
  • I had ADR and Fusion surgery last year and have significant nerve damage in both legs. I experience the same stinging sensation in both lower extremities when I sit for to long. I too yell out when it happens because it really hurts!!! Doc says its normal when you have a lot of nerve damage. Hope this helps.
  • Thank you spineys!

Newhouse is it on your low back? or down your legs? Mine is in the general L4-5 area on the left side. It reminds me of facet pain, but when I bend backwards it doesn't hurt at all. Typically that is a reliable test for facet involvement.

It is too high for SI.

Man it stings so bad, like I have a wasp caught in my back pocket.

Brenda~ you are one tough cookie to be able to massage it yourself. It's like putting your hand on something that is hot. Pulling your hand back like an involuntary reaction.

Zack, man oh man I hope it isn't scar tissue on the hardware.....

I really hope it goes away! :(
  • it WILL go away - normal "ouchies" that you're dealing with, muscles, nerves, fiber, tissue, etc.... alot going on back there!
    Dr. Oz Show is coming on right now & he's going to talk about "muscle knots"
    maybe I can learn something ; (
  • Are you on anything for nerve pain?

Lisa
  • I am on 600 mg neurotin, and 60 Cymbalta
  • you still taking pain meds? Are they relieving your pain?
  • I am still taking pain meds, usually 10 mg oxicodone x3/day and 10mg flexeril x3/day.

The pain meds don't seem to help this pain.

I hate to increase the neurontin due to weight gain, but I may have to.....
  • Hehehe! Not so much a tough cookie, I just found I could place the heal of my hand over the area, and then start circular movements on it with pressure. :) I guess too, when I get the 'stings' they fortunately are short lived.

Since my back is still progressing, I am guessing it is my L2 nerve getting back at me! Aaahhhh life in spineyland! *hug*

Brenda
advertisement