Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible 2nd Surgery - advise please

so over itsso over it Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

In 2008 I had a Lumbar Fusion on my L4/L5. I was doing great until 3/10. I started having severe spasms in my lower back radiating both legs. They did a discogram today and my L5 is herniated and I was told surgery might be needed. I'm confused.. I thought they worked on this disc initially. I was given pics and the disc looks awful. Any advice?

• They probably meant the L5-S1 disc had herniated. It is a typical cause of that kind of leg pain. Just call to confirm the level with your doctor if you're concerned, or anytime you have a question.

I'm sorry you're having new trouble and hope you get it resolved soon. I'm about to have surgery on my lumbar spine so I know how you feel. I don't have an L5 (it's sacralized, or was fused to the sacrum at birth). All of my lumbar levels are herniated, some worse than others. Not fun.
  • I'm also thinking they might mean the L5/S1 disc. I was told by a few health professionals - my surgeon, the PA and PT - that with an L4/5 fusion, the biggest pressure will be put on the L5/S1 area.

The only other thing I could possibly think of is if you had stenosis/facet fusion surgery at L4/5 but they didn't do anything with the disc.

Those are only two suggestions and are definitely not medical professional diagnosis, just opinions on possibilities. This is absolutely a question for your surgeon/doctor.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I have an appt with my surgeon on Tuesday so hopefully I can get some answers. I will keep u posted.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    What I've seen is they say "discectomy and fusion" but not all the disc material is removed, then later there is disc herniation or other problems. This confused me for quite a while. So in my most recent surgery he said that the entire disc would be removed and a spacer put in its place.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos