Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weight Loss

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Water Cooler
I've lost 50lbs since last year. I was 220lbs and size 2X and now I'm size 12-14 and 170lbs. I still have more to lose but I haven't been 170 for years. I remember walking around the block last year discouraged and thinking look at the people looking at this woman limping with her cane. I decided to use imagery and picture myself thin. Started drinking a lot of water and cut meals and portion size. Yet eat 2 squares of dark chocolate a day and yogurt and fruits everyday. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Wow, charry!! I am impressed and very proud of you!! (and, I'm jealous, too!) Keep up the good work. I sure wish I could learn to do that imagery stuff and make it work. I used to be thin, but my DDD and cervical issues keep me from doing all I need to do. (OH--excuses excuses!!)---Mazy
  • Charry,

Congrats to you on your weight loss. It definitely makes a difference on us in the way we feel and helping with the spine as well. I too dropped all the additional weight I was carrying and it did help. I read a line once about someone making a comment on food. It was something to the fact of "It doesn't taste as good as skinny feels". So when I see something and think hmmm, I always think of that line. But congrats to you on the weight loss, keep it up and will be seeing you in the next swim suit addition. Major life accomplishment in my eyes you have done. good work.

• That is so good to have lost all that weight!
    Doesn't it feel great. I lost about 20 pounds in the year leading up to my surgery, and was so pleased.

Since surgery, I have put on about 4 pounds, so am going to be very careful. I don't want to put it all back on again. I am walking 2 miles a day, so shouldn't be putting weight on.
    My body seems to always be fighting against me, and trying to make me fat!! LOL!

Keep it up Charry. It will be so good for your back but also for your health generally.
    I am really proud of you!
    :D =D>
  • Oh Charry that's fantastic. I am sure your doctors are happy too. I have to believe that they look at a patient as a whole and those that are over weight get written off as not caring about their bodies. All of my ortho and neuro doctors are slim and in excellent shape. Might not be fair but doctors have to judge the patients.

I was up to 185 after this last surgery from my normal 155. My goal is to get back to the 155 before another surgery. I keep saying I need to walk but it hasn't happened yet. Gotta get moving.
  • OK here's my plan. A girlfriend and I are going on Atkins tomorrow. It worked for me before so I am hoping it will work again. I know after those first three days I will feel much better and it will get easier.
  • You said, "I decided to use imagery and picture myself thin."

"The mind does not know the difference between what is imagined and what is real." YOU IMAGINED IT AND IT BECAME REAL!

I absolutely LOVE IT Charry.

It is amazing what CAN BE DONE when we set our minds to it.

Please continue to use that incredible mind of yours and CARRY ON! CARRY ON!

• Charry that is quite an accomplishment!! It sounds like your doing it in a very healthy way which is even better....gotta love dark chocolate!!