Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back from the hospital!

babybubblesbabybubbles Posts: 159
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I actually tried to log onto SH from my Iphone on Monday evening after my surgery, but kept getting an error message. Everything went just peachy, and it was a great experience. I am glad to get home to my pets though, they always make me feel better.

As a few of you might remember, I had 3-level surgery on my lumbar spine this past Monday morning. We had a late start, which I didn't mind. (I made sure my surgeon and anesthesiologist both ate some lunch first. ;) ) I had a bit more extensive surgery than originally planned because my spondylolisthesis had slid pretty far into a Grade II, and my disc spaces were so tight and the facets around the spondy were so overgrown that it made it hard to screw in the hardware. It ended up taking about 4 hours or so -- and let me tell you, I can stand tall again, I can walk at a good pace and much further than recent months, and my left leg no longer drags -- no more cane! Of course I'm on pain meds so I don't have a complete picture of pain relief yet, but even when it has worn low, the worst I've felt was a bit of muscle soreness. (I have pretty thick back muscles, so my surgeon said I can expect this.)

I took quite a few spins around the hospital corridor with no assistance, just a couple of walk-alongs yesterday. (I was on bedrest on Monday because of how long the surgery took and how late it was when I got to my room.)

So, I think my procedure could be called a success, and I'm very, very happy with my choice! Now the rest of my spine will adjust to being able to have correct posture for the first time in a long time, and boy does even *that* feel wonderful!

And just because I love having surgery so much (sure I do), I'll be having cataract surgery coming up for both eyes. (The opthalmalogist was checking for signs of MS and found these instead -- according to him, probably due to high doses of corticosteroids I've had over the years for asthma and then some pain.) After that, a spinal cord stimulator to cover cervical and thoracic pain -- and I should be bionic! ;)

• Char,

First off, Welcome Home!!! So glad that you are feeling so much better, and I hope it continues to be so - So good for you woman!!

Don't overdue!! Follow what they told you, and focus on you and healing! Such encouraging news!!! So happy for you! *HUGZ* :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you, Flygirl! I'm really very happy about how things went. And don't worry, I'm a stickler for doing it the right way (just ask my poor husband!).

I'm just looking forward to getting some good rest tonight with any luck. :-)
  • babybubbles said:
    Thank you, Flygirl! I'm really very happy about how things went. And don't worry, I'm a stickler for doing it the right way (just ask my poor husband!).

I'm just looking forward to getting some good rest tonight with any luck. :-)
    Wow Char!! I can feel your happiness through your words - powerful, WOW!!! *HUG* lol Flygirl - haven't been called that in a long time! :) Whirly girl, chopper chick, Sky King! Ahhh..the memories! (G) Don't let that wonderful energy leave you - bet it's better than drugs! Whooohoooo!!

• WoW!! We have a super star amongst us!! Congrats Char! I am in awe! My fusion kicked my butt from Texas all the way to Canada and back!!!!! LOL

I am so happy to hear everything went well and you are back home walking tall and on your own without the use of the cane~ which can now be recycled into firewood!!

Enjoy being home with your pets, and hubby! I hope you are able to rest comfortably and get some sleep!

All my best to you!!
  • Congrats on getting your surgery over with and for coming out of it with so much success!! I am so happy for you and believe me we all love to hear happy endings and good news!!! I feel better just reading your post.

Now I know you'll do the right thing, and no laundry (wink, wink) so you're in good hands and with your optomistic outlook, you are going to do great, no more cane, wow, simply awesome!!

Do take it easy and take good care of yourself and keep us updated on your success, and welcome to the other side and your road to recovery.

Sandra x
  • Char

I am sooooo happy for you!! It's so nice to hear when people have a successful surgery. Remember not to overdue it :0)

Take care, Renea'
  • I'm so happy for you. You're post is so encouraging. I'm having a 3 level lumbar fusion on the June 29th. I like the part about you standing tall and straight. I haven't been able to do that since November of 2009.
  • Hi Char

You're doing incredibly well. After my one level, it was soooo good to be able to stand up straight and I gained an inch in height !!

Keep taking things steadily and enjoy being able to walk again without your cane.

Hope all goes well with the cataract surgery too.

Isn't it so good to have your pets around you again - all that unconditional love is just the best.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • That's excellent news and I hope you find your recovery to be just as successful and tolerable. Enjoy your new found freedoms while you recover and gain more strength.

Best to you,

• Great to hear how well everything has gone and how well you are doing.
    What an encouragement for others facing fusion surgery. If you can be so well after a 3 level fusion, then there is hope for everyone! :-)

I also grew an inch after my surgery. That was a 1 level fusion at L4/L5. Did you grow 3 inches???!!!
    (1 inch for each level)

Keep on with the healing, and good to hear that you are a rule follower (me too!)

We are here to support you as you travel down the road to recovery. Keep letting us know how you are doing.
    I am so pleased for you :D
  • =D> Its great to hear that your op went so well...You are an inspiration to those of us that think there will never be an end to a life of pain..

Take care.. :H
  • Glad things went well for you char! You know I asked my doc when I went in for my acdf this pastr tues if it would make me taller and he laughed and said no!! I am only 5 feet tall, oh well I tried!! Good luck to you in your healing, Lela
  • You guys, thank you so much, you have no idea how much your support means. :)

Now, I don't want people here to think I've had a surgery that I didn't -- I did not have a formal fusion surgery. I had severe canal compression at L3-L4, and both canal and foramenal stenosis at L2-3 and L4-1. (My L5 is sacralized, this is called Bertololli (sp.) syndrome.)

Anyway, Of my 4 lumbar levels, all 4 were herniated, I had grade 1 spondy at L2-3, and grade 2 spondy at L3-4. We were going to do a complete laminectomy/discectomy at L3-4, then use stabilization hardware to stop the spondylolisthesis slip. He was going to try to free up some of the compressed nerves above (right L3) and below (left S1) by doing partial laminectomy/discectomy. Right before surgery, though, he said he reviewed my films again and thought I needed all 3 levels fully decompressed, so that's where we went. Full lami/discectomy L2-3, L3-4, L4-S1, with stabilization hardware at L3-4.

My surgeon had to back out the screw for the right side hardware stabilization because of foramenal bone overgrowth. He filled in that transverse bone hole with crushed bone; the left side has hardware.

I don't know if I will have gained sone height at all with the hardware in. I always see cervical patients say they gained an inch or more with an ACDF, but I never had that impression because I think when I lost my lordotic curve in my neck, my head went a bit to far forward. I should actually check on that.

I really had a great surgeon and didn't have any doubt about his ability to get me going again. He was adamant with me that he didn't want a fusion with my anatomy, and I think this procedure will give me what I need. Plus, it's nice not to feel like I'm hunching my way through my like. :)
  • for your update! It is very encouraging as I prepare for my surgery tomorrow. I can only hope that I recover as you have.

Take care of yourself!
  • Welcome to the otherside. It's a great place to be. Remember to take care of yourself. And don't be surprised if you have some bad moments or even days. Post-op can be a little bit of a rollercoaster ride. But in the end it's great!!
  • I am so glad you are recovering and home. And it gives me hope for my husband's surgery on June 24. We're getting antsy just waiting and wish it was over.
  • Char,

You may not have had 'formal fusion' surgery, but they sure did a bunch in there, no? Still a big surgery to recover from, and you sound like it is going great!!! Thanks so much for the update. Please keep us posted. Great positive energy in your posts!!!

• Great news...glad you had a positive experience in the hospital. Take good care of yourself!!!

• Glad to hear you are doing so well and so soon after your surgery. Its good for all of us (especially newbies) to hear of feeling good right out of surgery. However, we all know recovery can be quite long, with good days and bad days.

So.....please just be careful!! It is so easy to overdo it when you feel good, then later realize you did too much. I speak from my own experiences of overdoing!

Rest and take care of yourself,
    and please keep us posted on how you are doing,