Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Changes to my Meds

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Pain Medications
Hey everyone,

I was at PM for trigger point injections yesterday.

Finally some med chages. Zanaflex 4mg 3 x's a day and Lyrica 50mg 2 x's a day. No more hives causing Neurontin. But she did stress to be extra careful with Lyrica, because it is a more potent sister to Neurontin, to be cautious with allergic reaction symptoms. Now maybe I can see some relief from the changes last visit to 30mg MS Contin 2 x's a day. Still have my trusty Hydrocodone for bt pain. Trigger Pt injections hurt but way less than any other injections. Maybe this will be the magical combination that will make my continued recovery easier. Or maybe I will be an itchy mess, but I am staying positive and letting some of my frustrations go.

Best to all,

• Hi Ya Traci!

Sounds like you might be on the upswing side of the house here. Good for you!! :) Please let us know after a few days how your body is adjusting. I hope this works for ya woman!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Good for you Traci, best of luck with the new med combo. I really hope this gives you the relief you need and allows you to recover faster.
  • Hey girl, think of you often, wondering how you are doing and how work is going.

Hopefully, between the trigger point injections and the new meds you will finally find the relief you so desperately deserve!

Where do the do the trigger point injections? Curiosity....

Take care girlie!
  • Hey Sharri,

TP injections are directly into knotted muscles, so for me on each side of my surgical site and into buttocks. I sound like Forrest Gump when I type that LOL. I am off work again and new Dr wants me to try part time when I can get on my foot again in a couple of weeks. I will report in then :)

• I suspected your hives were related to an allergic reaction to the Neurontin. I hope the med changes are helpful. Miss seeing you in chat.

• The new med combo sounds great. I used to take both those meds and helped better to move around. Hope the trigger point injections help. Best wishes getting back to work. My best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Traci,

Howdy! Just thought I would pop in and see how you are doing, and how are the new meds working out for you? Thinking of ya woman!! *hug*

• Hey Hey Brenda,

I am not really sure how they are working. Tomorrow will be my first day on the full dosage of Lyrica. I am having headaches everyday. That could be due to waiting for my new glasses to be ready, too. I can't tell any difference with the zanaflex. My muscles are still a knotty mess. I am giving it all time to work though.

How are you holding up?

Hugs and Hugs!
  • Traci, Traci, Traci!!!

Hopefully you and Lyrica will get along. I was never "stepped" up with it. I was put straight on 300mg a day with it. The first 3 weeks, megga "elephant legs" for the first few weeks, now gone. :) They were FAT with Lyrica liquid. hehehehe

I am doing okay kind of. I've been dragging "my feet" on getting with this new Neurologist - I think I am just trying to avoid MORE bad news. Sigh.. I will call soon for an appointment (slink...) MS is still on the list. The only sort of known to me, is this will not get better only worse, and believe it or not, I am okay with it *IF* I have answers. Yeah, I know, "stop dragging your feet woman, get that appointment!" Heehehhe...

I will keep sending you POSITIVE thoughts and energy woman!!! *HUGZ*

• Brenda,

Thanks for the info on your success with Lyrica. I had the worst headache (close to the worst ever)today. I took everything in the medicine cabinet. I still feel it lurking but not making me want to blow my head off anymore. I see PM Tuesday, can get the low down on this medication. It is the only thing that I can imagine is causing these headaches. The official Lyrica site lists headache as a side effect only after discontinuing. Who knows? LOL

I really hope you can get a correct diagnosis. I can understand the foot dragging. Who wants to keep getting crappy news? But, as spineys we both know that's the only way to start on the road to fixing problems, if they are repairable.

Hugs and Drugs,
  • Traci,

I get megga headaches, but they are from my C2/3 most times. Sleeping wise, I feel based on the difference in the headaches, my fusion area and below. Grrr... Glad to hear you got yours under control! It's funny girlfriend, to me, headaches are harder to deal with sometimes than the bloody spine stuff! Odd huh? I HATE headaches. Until all this crap started, I got like 3 headaches a year! :)

Please let me know how it goes. My former peer (fellow supervisor) called me, and they are doing a retirement 'shing ding' for me next week at the Branch!! Whoo... and guess what (chuckle) my Homeland Security watch to boot! (G) I already got my 'Certificate of Retirement' signed by the Assistant Commissioner, so I am happy. :) Here I thought they forgot about 'little ole me' hehehehe Before he and I finished, he told me they were going to do something very unusual, each team I ran is also putting things together for other dates! Now I have a 'warm and fuzzy' from my now *sniff* former chapter in life!! The agents where good people to work with. I would (and those in law enforcement will know how big this comment means) Go through a door with most of them, anytime!!!

Hugs and Drugs right back to ya woman!! You're super people, but you knew that! Keep us posted woman!!! *HUGZ*

• Brenda,

Headaches like this are harder to deal with. My whole head hurt!!! Who the heck wants to walk around with a big throbbing head?

I am so excited to see you're feeling better about the "retirement." I cannot imagine being forced out of a job I loved. I know physically it was required but that rarely prepares anyone mentally. Good for you and what sounds like great co-workers. If you can say you would go through a door with any of them, I know exactly how important that is, they must be good people. Have fun at your wing-dings!!

Hugs Again!!
  • I actually wrapped my head around retirement, so it was not a painful departure. I also knew that I financially set myself up, so that alone was a comfort! My stress levels have dropped, and that too is a plus. The funny part? My brain still thinks I am on leave or something! (G)

I HATE headaches. What is weird is when I had migraines, if I got into a dark and quiet place, and didn't move, I could deal with it. My 'spiney headaches' don't care if I move or not! Are yours like that? I use Darvocet for those occasions where Aspirin doesn't help. I don't like Tylenol too much!

I will get back with my 'spine' docs shortly! (G) Scuff of feet again...(G) I've had changes, so I added them to my notes for the new Neuro. :) Thanks girlfriend! *HUGZ*

• I've been thinking of you and all our spiney friends here. Haven't posted much (been reading posts) because the last 2 months have been insane with kids sports and school stuff. Not to mention ear tube problems, palate expander, vet appointments...., sheesh, did I bore you yet?!!

Anyway, I hope you can get a handle on those killer headaches (you too, Brenda!) and start feeling better. I also can deal better with the back pain than I do with headaches, why is that? Now that my neck has officially fallen apart (in so many ways) I'm getting headaches and nasty shoulder pain, blech.

Brenda: call your Dr.! None of us wants to hear more crappy news, but I seem to do better knowing what's really going on. Is it your lumbar or neck giving you problems?
    Enjoy all the love being thrown your way from your fellow co-workers, you deserve it.

Take care,

• I think I might have an idea why headaches bother us more than our spine issues - this is me thinking guessing here...:) With our spine issues, the pains stay about the same - predictable. Granted the scale goes up or down, or a stray change occurs. With our headaches, eyes hurt, ears hurt, there's throbbing, sometimes if bad, we get nauseous, sweaty etc. So many more body parts come into play? Wadda ya'll think?

Lisa, I know the news won't be good, and as such I just needed a 'brain break' from it all is all. :) I will be ramping everything back up shortly as my logical brain is smacking me: "Hello reality, back to work with the docs woman!" I needed that break. Thanks Ms Traci, Lisa, you guys are tops! Hope today is going well for you all!!!

• OK Brenda, I can totally understand the need for a brain break!! Especially with all your body has been through. Your headache theory is pretty good, too.

Traci, hope you are having a better day today!

Take Care,

• Hey Y'all,

Every trip to the PM changes my meds. My Lyrica was upped from 2x's a day to 3, and next visit she hopes to raise it to 75mg 3x's a day. We are going slow because of the allergic reaction to gabapentin. I also cannot believe the cost of that med. A 30 day supply if no insurance coverage is $272!!! That is CRAZY. Thank god my doc gave a coupon for $25 co-pays until 12/2011. Normally would be $45 for me. My other drugs stayed the same.

Now I just have to deal with my LTD insurance company. I received their termination of benefits letter and some of the things they based their decision on, has casued me to make an appt with an attorney. I am thinking discirmination lawsuit will be in the near future. In the meantime I am returning to work in a couple of weeks. I have an appt on monday for consultaion for extraction of wisdom teeth. The 3 I have left need to come out and I have been putting it off for almost a year. I figure I can get that taken care of while I am off too. Then I won't have to waste my vacation time on 3 or 4 days of that hell. I'm glad I have good drugs now!! LOL

Lisa, I see you have been busy! How are you feeling? I have been trying to do other things besides the internet. My laptop is no more and I have to sit at a desktop. That is so difficult for me. I hope you and the kids are having a good summer so far!! Hugs!!

Hugs and More Hugs to you all!!!

P.S. Brenda, my headache was all over my head it seemed and it didn't matter if it was dark and I laid down, or if I was out in the sunshine, it hurt like I don't know what. Fortunately it is mostly gone, PM said looked more like sinus. She said my sinus cavaties appeared really dry. I can't figure that out, since it it "African Hot" and humid here right now. I still feel it even after all this time. Like the sucker is just waiting to jump out again!! Hugz too!!! I hope you have made that call :)
  • Glad to hear your headaches are getting better. Sinuses, hehe, been there, done that - they still bite! I live in South Florida remember, and down here it is always (okay...90% of the time anyways) Ichy, sticky and yicky! Sinuses still go bazirk down here, so I can see that.

Sorry to hear you now have to fight the folks that are in your LTD insurance. Sheeesh... If these people or members of their family were treated much they way they treat "the faceless" people they judge on daily, wonder how they would deal with others after that? My thoughts and prayers stay with you girlfriend in this much needed time of support! *HUGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*

• I totally understand the computer problem. I can't be on our desktop computer: within minutes I am miserable. My husband took pity on me and bought a laptop. Needed one anyway because the kids kept hogging the desktop one!

I don't know how you ladies deal with all that heat and humidity. That alone would give me headaches!

Hoping for better days for all, aches be gone!