Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Opinions on trial quickly

AnneENorthAAnneENorth Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I currently have front and back leg pain from a failed back surgery 5 years ago resulting in scar tissue in the epidural space. I normally spend about 17 hours a day in bed laying on my back with pillows under my knees or on my side (never on my stomach) My nerve pain is usually better in the morning so I am able to take short shopping trips (30 minutes)

My insurance has finally approved a spine cord stimulator trial scheduled for 5 days on June 15. Unfortunately, I decided to go shopping on Monday (for undergarments for the trial of all things!) and now my nerve pain is so bad I literally have not left my bed since! Viciodin is not even helping it.

My question is should I postpone the trial? I called my dr and he has not called me back. I know that it is 5 days off but this is much more than my usual type pain and I don't know if I would be able to go though the extra activity or the extra pain of the actual placement of the trial.

• Are you in bed 17 hours a day because the pain is keeping you from moving or do you have reduced ability that makes it hard to move? The only reason I ask is that 17 hours is a lot of time not moving. I can only speak from personal experience but I gotta move it so I don't completely loose it. If the pain is your reason I would definately talk to your doc about better pain control.

Sorry you over did it the other day. From what I've heard you'll be sore after the trial SCS is inserted but if you can stick it out I would. It sounds like it took a long time to get approved so I'd hate for you to have to wait more. I saw a post today or yesterday the guy said his doc told him no meds after the SCS trial was placed. I'm just in the beginning process of the SCS so I don't know if that is standard procedure if your in a great deal of pain that might be something to talk to your doc about.

I wish you the best in making your decision. Please post after the procedure I'm curious to know other people's experiences with it. :0)
  • IMHO, you should go ahead with the trial. But of course see what your doctor says. None of us on this site can tell you what a physician would say.

I base my opinion on how I was going in to my trial - I was in the middle of a flare for which nothing could be done. I was told that unless I was running a fever or otherwise sick that it was safe to proceed. The pain I was having was just an aggravated version of the kind of pain we were doing the trial to test out the SCS on.

And I knew the instant the rep turned on the thing on that it was working, that it would help, and that I wanted it. I told my surgeon when he had the rep turn it off so he could finish the procedure that it was like having been weightless and being slammed back into gravity.

Good luck to you! I hope the trial gives you some good pain relief and that you might even be able to shop for new unders or anything else you need and enjoy the outing. Shopping for people with chronic pain is so often more accurately called "getting" than "shopping" since we don't linger and try on everything in the store like normal people do.