Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain 9 months post op l5 s1 fusion

BlandgirlBBlandgirl Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a posterior fusion at l5 s1 back is September. I have done really well. Back to work in 5 weeks and out of the brace at 8 weeks. I went off pain path in March and pain pills in April. I was told I was completely fused in April at 7 months post op. I recently though started having leg pain down my right leg and some toe numbness. This isn't as bad as pre surgery which the pain was always 10. But I would say that I have been having 7-8 out of 10 pain. Is this normal? Should I check back in with my doctor? I have also noticed some leg weakness on this side. Just worried I am headed down the same road as before. Can the l4 l5 disc cause the same pain?

• Hmmmm am I posting under the wrong forum
  • No, you are not in the wrong area it just takes some time to get a answer. I would think that if your having the same pain as before the surgery that it would be the same area of your spine. If you had another level going bad, or that is bad, I would think it would show up as pain in another area. The nerves that exit each level of the spine go to seperate areas of the body. I believe the nerve map is called a deratome map. You really need to see your doctor. This is just my opinion and nothing more.

Good luck.

• Blandgirl,

I would also recommend seeing your doctor. He may ask for an MRI to see what nerves are pinched.

Don't know if it could be bone spurs, scar tissue, or something surgery related.