Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recommendations for *new* TENs unit model/brand?

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Pain Management
Hi spineys,

I'm fed up with my current TENs unit and was wondering if anyone out there has a unit that they love and would recommend?

My current one is an EMSI, and my *main* complaint is that it doesn't automatically shut itself off when the time is up (like, the stimulation stops, but the unit stays on until I physically turn the knob to the off position). I'm constantly having to mess with it turning it on and off, and it's just very basic. It's my third unit from them (also annoying, although they do have good customer service and are hassle free in terms of replacing defective units). I actually had a digital one before this one that I liked much better because it had a lot more options, but it beeped whenever the time was up and there was no way to make it not beep so I *hated* that...

I was also wondering if any of the other brands are a little more powerful? Most of the time I feel like I can't get the stim high enough on my low back, but on my shoulder and other body parts it is fine.

I got the unit from my PT and they use EMSI so I didn't have a choice in terms of brand, but now that I'm in this chronic pain thing for the long haul it is worth it to me to upgrade to a nicer unit that meets my needs. The LG units look pretty neat, but I've never talked to anybody that has one...

• I would hold off until you determine if an SCS will work for you or not. I do not believe you can use a tens unit if you have a stimulator. Something you may want to research.

• Hi Dave,

I actually talked to my rep who will be helping me during my trial and she said that it was fine to use a TENs unit with the permanent SCS implant...

I assumed the rep was giving me good info, but I guess I should run it by my doctor as well. I know you have a SCS, so were you told not to use a TENs with it??

• Howdy Lala!

I use the "EMS 7500" and its wonderful! You can set your rate, ramp and pulse rates. It has a lot of power, and I will bet (hehehe) that it can zap ya good! :) I hope that helps Lala!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • In my documentation for my stimulator there is a section that outlines warnings of Electrmagnetic Interference (EMI). The stimulators offer protection against EMI, but strong sources of EMI can result in the following:
    • Serious patient injury or death, resulting from heating of the implanted components of the neurostimulation system and damage to surrounding tissue.
    TENS unit is specifically listed in the table of my manual indicating that it can cause momentary increase in stimulation or the device turns OFF or ON. TENS electrodes should not be placed so that current passes over any part of the neurostimulation system. If you feel that the the TENS unit might be interfering with your neurostimulator, discontinue using the TENS until you talk with your doctor.

It could be nothing but a bunch of legal warnings, but if you pay around 100k for something, are you prepared to possibly damage the unit and maybe your life? The Rep does not have one of these in his body and I doubt they have read all of the documentation.

• and I love it. It shuts off after a 20 minute period. They have excellent customer service too.
  • its a high end unit and i have arrange for spine health members to have a longer trail {the normal trial is 30 days } but they have told me that if anyone from out of the uk want to try one they will get a longer trail .its the best i have had .omrom also make good units .but you will have to go a long way before you beat the acticare ,.its also an external spinal cord stimulator .
    see www.acticare.com