Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bilateral hip, thigh, knee, ankle pain

sbvcrnssbvcrn Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello. Newbie here. Hopefully someone with some ideas.
Twenty years ago had an L5S1 laminectomy. Did great. 100%. Last three years "hip" pain...not really apparently trochanteric bursitis in both "hips". Have been having frequent, every 3-4 months, steroid injections. The first one helped 100%. Since then they have only last 2-3 weeks. I cannot continue these injections forever due to the complications of them. Now, it has been 2.5 months since last injection on the right and I now have bilateral "hip", thigh, knee, shin and ankle pain. Much worse with standing or walking on very hard surfaces such as concrete. Also hurts a lot laying in bed particularly on my side and I am a side sleeper BUT it doesnt just hurt on the side I am laying on but the other one also. Sleep with pillow between legs. Also now have pretty bad knee aching, shin pains and ankle aching. Seemingly much of this is worse at night. I have had lumber MRI showing scar tissue and degeneration plus the surgical info from 1990. Also had sacral MRI. Nothing that shows anything why I am in so much discomfort. Wanting to change doctor but first appointment I can get is August 3rd. Sed rate, ANA, RA all normal. Cant sleep. Help. Any ideas to pursue. Thanks. p.s. I am female 66 years old

• Howdy and welcome to Spine Health. I've also had complete laminectomies at L4 and L5 and although they provided me great relief, sleeping is my roughest time for hip, thigh, shin, and ankle pain. I get up a couple times each night to walk it off enough to go back to sleep. As you described, the pain is generally on the opposite side that I am laying on. I too sleep with a pillow between my knees and one supporting me in front too.

The only question I have, is did they also do any extension and flexion x-rays?

One thing that does help me is staying well hydrated. It seems to lessen the severity of the pain at night or allow the Neurontin to work better and also makes it easier to walk it off so I can go back to bed.

Sorry that you are hurting like you are.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i am sorry you are having such trouble with your hip and leg. the pain must be very bad to prevent you from sleeping... many of us suffer from this problem so you are not alone!! i am over 50 and understand some of the problems that come with being a bit older.. sleeping is difficult anyway for me and the pain sure doesn't help any... all i can suggest is you try and change the way you sleep. perhaps on your back??? i know this is not easy, but with training you can do it and maybe sleep better with the stress off your legs... i get all comfy with pillows and turn on my favorite music and let the music take me away.. i hope that offers you a little relief!! take care and stop by anytime!!! Jenny :)