Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated disc at L5 S1, butt & leg numbness.

sarah78ssarah78 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Here's what I am going though; if anyone has gone or is going through something similar, please let me know your experience. Thanks!

I just turned 32. Am about 50lbs overweight and I know that doesn't help back pain so I am working on that, but it's hard to do when you can't walk more than 10 minutes without pain.

My pain started in my right leg, cramping down the back of my leg when I drove long distances (I travel for my job). Eventually it was hurting whenever I'd walk more than 10 or 15 minutes. Went to my regular doctor, he diagnosed it as sciatica, gave me pain pills & muscle relaxers. Pain got worse over the next few weeks, now could not walk more than 5 minutes without pain. Doc referred me to a sports medicine doctor. New doctor took xrays, everything looked fine there, prescribed physical therapy. PI worked some, helped with the pain after each session, but the next day pain would come back. A week ago, I woke up very stiff and sore, went to the bathroom and could barely get back up off the toilet. Horrible lower back pain (tailbone area). Could not move the rest of the day, and by the end of the day had numbness in my right butt cheek, back of right thigh and private area. It was a Sunday so my mom & boyfriend took me to the ER. ER doc said sounded like a pinched nerve, prescribed more pain & spasm pills. Saw sports medicine doc the very next day, he did another xray, still looked fine and scheduled an MRI for the next day. MRI showed a "rather large herniated disc at L5 S1". He has referred me to a neurosurgeon that I see in two weeks. The very thought of surgery scares me silly. I've heard about injections, but doc has not yet mentioned them to me. I'm in pain and scared. Can't work. I feel like a crippled old lady!

Thoughts, experiences, advice welcome please.

• I do understand your fear of surgery but most docs would start you off with the less invasive procedures if there was a chance that they may work. On the other hand if you are risking some type of permanent damage immediate surgery may be necessary. It sounds as if this is probably the case. Have you talked to your doc about why they did not try the other procedures first? I would bet that there is a good reason.

Try and focus on the fact that you may be pain free post op rather than your fear of the surgery itself.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.take a deep breathe and try and relax.. you have a long way to go before you enter the surgery area.. i do hope you can find some conservative treatments before having to have surgery, but J.J. Grey is right. you may become pain free after surgery and that would be wonderful!! good luck to you and stop by anytime! Jenny :)