Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hemangiomas large

tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,748
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am curious if anyone here has been diagnosed with a large hemangiomas and what you did for treatment? Also were you isolated with one or multiples of them? I have one large one on the T10 and smaller ones on the T11 and T12. Also if anyone has had surgery to remove them, and what was the result. Did any type of bracing help with the pain and what type of pain did you get from it. Was you case complicated by any other conditions associated with it, like fractures or cord compressions? Basically any information you could give would be helpful.

• Oh no tam, I'm so sorry to hear the news. What has your surgeon said about them? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and please keep us informed.
  • Thanks Mitch,

For now I am going to have the 360 cervical fusion added in, see if takes some stress off of them and my spine in general. There is a signal loss from my old hardware down through the thoracic so the fusion needs to be done. As you know i knew that sense january and was opting for conservative treatment till my bladder retention issues started. Well I didn't know about the signal loss. Once the bladder was deemed a nerve issue they filmed the entire spine as treatment matters as to what level of the spine it is. Since there is a signal loss from my hardware down doing the cervical makes sense to see if can turn that back on. Now of course should one of those create a stress fracture they will do emergency surgery the biggest concern is T10. That particular surgery from my understanding is very risky so well ahh you get it. But it is going to be on my plate soon enough, as they know it is growing. Also next week will put another set of blocks in the lumbar to reduce some of the inflammation that is radiating in that area along with the herniated l4-l5.

I am waiting a few weeks for the surgery as I already committed to having a wedding reception here at the house for a family member. And I really need to carry out these plans for my mental well being kind of thing. So actually the wait will be short as I will be busy doing this and supervising everyone. Want to work on my crew nothing like a female in charge who can't urinate almost as bad as the worst PMS. So of course everyone listens real well cause i do bite, no just kidding but don't tell them. Anyway thanks Mitch for the concerns much appreciated.
  • Hi Tam

What are they from? I had a lot of fluid massing on my vertebra right after surgery in January. They said it was from the bone bruising in surgery.

If I'm thinking right that is a blood pocket? My son had that happen when he jammed his knee jumping off his bike. The doctor was able to drain it with a needle. If these aren't where they are operating maybe they could do this to relieve the pressure.
  • tamtam, I have a number of hemangiomas, a type of benign vascular tumor, throughout my thoracic spine and extending to L1. About 10% of the world population will have spinal cord hemangiomas, but less than 1% will become symptomatic. I also have a syrinx just below the level of T4; this is acquired and appeared sometime after my first myelogram in October of 2006.

I do have some cord compression and scoliosis throughout my thoracic spine -- but then, I have the same at the cervical and lumbar levels too. As of right now neither the hemangiomas nor the syrinx seem to give my neurologist or neurosurgeon cause for concern, but we will monitor both for signs of change.
  • Kris,

I have no idea what really causes them. We do know the one at T12 was not there a year ago. Some suggest you are born with them but I have a mri a year ago that shows it didn't exist at that level. The one of concern is the one at T10 as it is symptomatic. But sense the signal issues start above it at my hardware is the reason to do the cervical fusion first and see how much it effects me. Mine are actually growing on the vertebra itself. AS far as the scolio I didn't have it in October on a myelogram but I do now. But this has to be addressed not because of pain I get but because of the bladder issues and that backing back into my kidney. Even with the medications and the cath my bladder issues just continue so why it has to be dealt with. As far as the needle deal from my understanding that is not possible. But for now will do the cervical and see if it helps some of it. Sense i have myelopathy it is hard to distinguish my legs from what does what. But I know they are changing and not for the good.
  • Tamtam I hope this helps. Do one area at a time is smart.

Funny story - years ago my mother suddenly had intense knee pain. They did MRI etc and saw nothing. Did a surgery but found nothing unusual. The doctor was lost. He suggested a knee replacement but really had not reason for it other than the intense pain. At that point she could only walk a few feet before sitting down. Then she had eye problems. So they did the surgery and guess what?? her knee was instantly fine!! Has been ever since. Apparently there was something connected from the eye to the knee. None of the doctors can believe it.

I can believe it because I had T1/T2 surgery and now I am losing one eye. It started as a narrowed pupil and drooped lid and is now starting to blur and the drooping is much worse.

So start at the top and maybe they will stumble across something that will help the rest. The body really is an amazing thing.
  • Kris- Do you also have Horners Syndrome? I got it with my ACDF. I look pretty funny. My eye doc said he can do a surgery.....

Tamtam- hang in there.
  • Howdy Tamtam,

You've been there for me, so dropping in. Have you had any info on your status? I am hopeful that these are not a bad-bad? Any updates? Positive energy your way woman!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hey tam,
    just to let you know im thinking of you and following your thread.
    life sure hasnt been easy for you of late .....chin up girl youll get throught this because your a fighter.

LOVE P