Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RFL Nerve injection..better after 11 days

ann61aann61 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Injections
I guess that stands for radio frequency ablation, to burn off the nerve with heat. There are 2 methods, can't find the info sheet he gave me on them from Mayo.

I was supposed to call pain mgmt office, the week after 6/3 procedure, to inform them how i feeled. So i called 6/11..and said worse.

So they said come in 6/16 and have a talk with the doctor....Well that was last week, the call.. and suddenly this Monday, the pain went away..

Started wondering if since my Rheumatoid is doing good ( on meds), was that why my back felt better, or did the meds from the back procedure kick in.. I had the right side L-1 thru L5 done..

They just say facet joint arthitis, "arthitis"..or degenerative disc disease..but never say Rheumatoid Arthitis is contributing to this, in lower back.

Then i started reading posts, and see this may be common, it takes time? To feel better from this nerve burning or heated off????

BTW..The left side was done 5/12...and when i got off the table, my leg buckled, from that side...and i had to sit down for awhile. I only had pain for 2 days after the left side was done..and i thought this was normal, injection site pain

Guess I might be wasting a co/pay tomorrow, but i guess good to have a chat with him, and they did say I could get another set of the RFL'S in October

On this right side, he kept asking me, while i was on the table, anything in the leg?..and i didn't have that bucklign feeling when i get off the table.

He says i will feel tightening in the back, a thump thump thump, and a zap, like a Tens Unit.

All in all, wasn't too painful, compared to getting novacaine for dental work worse

• Is it RFTC? Radiofrequency Thermocoagulation?

That's the one I had, on the facet nerves. I also had L1 thru L5, right first and left 2 weeks later.

The left was OK right after, and then about 4 days later I started getting awful leg symptoms. I slunk in to my Dr's office with my tail between my legs. He said it was totally normal and gave me extra meds, and sure enough it went away before too long.

Unfortunately, the procedure didn't help much. My injury site started to flare up soon after- maybe I started doing too much, but I think it was just a confluence of events- and I'm worse than ever. Oh, well!
  • Had the treatment five days ago. Info my doc gave me said there could be bad days and good days for about three months. (I have had both these past days). Can anyone who had this treatment some time ago give me any feedback? I am on Lyrica for fibromyalgia and on my own I increased dosage. Seems to be helping.
  • I just never can get behind messing with your meds without your doctor's OK. When you are a pain patient, having your doctor's trust is SO important.

From what I can see, the procedure you mention is the same as rhizotomy. You would have to ask your doctor which nerves you had done.

• I should have explained that I had been on a higher dose of Lyrica but had cut back a few months ago as I was trying to loose weight, and pain was better. After the rhizolysis I went back to my initial dosage and that helped a lot. My internist had given the OK, and I will tell my orthopedist when I see him in a week.