Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Daughter.

smaxsx1ssmaxsx1 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Scoliosis
My 17yr old daughter was diagnosed with Scoliosis last year, we went for another scan this year and their is no change which is good but her curvature is 50% which isn't good.
I have been reading in other forums that a lot of people found out about their condition from checks they had at school, these people were in the USA.
Why aren't we doing that in this country then!! my daughter might not be in such bad shape if it was spotted earlier?
I am also wondering do the rods that are inserted when you have the surgery restrict your movement? she's finished her College course now and is about to start looking for work, Im worried about her future.
She is living with it as it is right now she isn't in pain at the moment but like I said this may well change when she's working!
=((
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i can hear that you are very worried about your daughter.. you don't say what country you are from? if your daughter has seen a qualified doctor and continues to do so as needed, i don't think you need to worry right now.. she sounds like she is healthy at this time and ready to start a new life working.. don't mar this time for her with your worries.. let her and the doctor do that for you!! she may have problems in the future but with constant attention from her doctor, atleast she can remain on top of her condition. good luck to you and your daughter at this exciting time!!! Jenny
  • We are in the UK and she was diagnosed last year and as I said we've been again this year for a follow up xray.
    It is as a parent my job to worry about her and I will no matter how old she is!
    I think I am just shocked at what I saw, she's on holiday for three weeks so I've got some time to get my head around it.
    I'll be fine when she's back of course I wouldn't let her see Im upset about it so much and at this time she's ok so that's good.
    I wouldn't say it was an exciting time, worrying yes?
    Thank you for your reply x
  • Hi,

My son is 15 and was diagnosed with Scoliosis 12 months ago, we are from Australia, he has a curve of 35 on the lower back and 32 on the upper back, I only noticed that behind his neck the bones were poking out and alot of people told me they thought it was strange, been 15 I never see my son without his shirt off or get to check out his back in anyway shape of form, My son works causally, he has been for the last 3 months and is only just starting to complain about pain.

We are off to see a speicalist next thursday 24th June as I have noticed change in his chest and ribs and he has also noticed, we are very lucky to get in so fast, seen the GP on Monday and got a letter on the friday to say we had an appointment with the specilist.

I agree a very worrying and stressful time, he is the second eldest out of my 5 children and he is the only one with it at the moment thank god!

Hoping all goes well with you

Kim x
  • Hi Kim, thanks for your reply,
    My daughters curvature is at the top of her spine, I noticed it one day out of the blue she had her back to me in the kitchen, Im still shocked and now a little annoyed that it's not screened for here in the UK.
    She is my oldest I have three children.
    All the best for the 24th, will be thinking of you both.
    I sent a letter to my MP asking for screening here should be interesting to see what kind of reply I will get!
  • We dont have any sort of screening here either, I wish they did I may of picked up my son earlier. I dont understandy why they dont..... I can relate to you been annoyed... May I should send a letter to ask for the screening here, do you have information of how it is done?

I will let you know how we go on 24th

Kim
  • hi! :H only being the mom of many dogs and cats i cannot know the worry a mom feels for her children... i know i am 53 and my mom still worries about me so i guess that is never over! LOL!! your daughter is a lucky young lady to have a mom like you!! all the best and i know you will feel better talking to ohers in the same boat you are in!! Jenny :)
  • Thank you Jenny, yes it's a help to be able to talk to other people in the same situation.
    Was nice of you to reply x
  • I did a search to find who my local MP was, could always ask why our GP's don't call in those who are at risk of Scoliosis for check ups that's a good idea don't you think?
  • Hello,

I have rods in my back from scoliosis surgery. (8 years ago when i was 16.)I found that it takes some getting used to. Her back will be a little stiff for a while bc of the spinal fusion. Its recommended not to bend or twist for 3 months after surgery so the spine fuses properly. She will probably have a maximum weight that she is allowed to lift, mine was 15 lbs for 3 months. I think it would be the same for everyone. If she does go for surgery make sure she is in the best shape possible building muscle in her back and core will help her like you would not believe for recovery!

If you have any questions please feel free to message me!

Kim
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.