Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PT..WORK..LIFE..3 MO POST 360 FUSION (the balancing act!!)

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone!

Well I haven't been on the forum much since being back to work cuz it requires so much energy!! I think of you all often and hope everyone is healing well. I have been back to work 5 weeks now and doing well. I don't need to lie for lunch anymore and have been out of my brace for 2 weeks now. I go to PT 3x a week, m-w after work and fri during my lunch hr. I go home and crash on the couch for an hr or 2 then can get up and eat and maybe short walk or putter in the garden. I really need to rest the weekends but that is hard this time of yr. I really have no back pain per say but have had tightness with muscle fatigue but that is slowly getting better. I have now been 2 days with even no tylenol. I do have some issues with other parts of my body from atrophy of muscles over the past 2 yrs. My knees have been grinding and My PT ck them today and said my patella bones are misaligned from lack of quad muscles and tight tendons on the side of my thighs pulling them to the side. My right hip joint is also grinding due to the same kind of thing with everything being out of balance. It is just amazing to me that I have gotten this weak with muscle loss. I feel so blessed to be able to do it all so far as I know many of you are still not back to work and having ongoing issues. I do pray that you may all get to this point cuz there is a light at the end of the tunnel and am getting my life back!! Lynette

• It it such good news to hear how well you are doing.
    Go girl!! :D

It is so encouraging to hear of someone who has done so well after surgery. That is the kind of story that those trying to decide whether to have surgery or those awaiting their surgery date, want to hear.

I hope that your PT will be able to work on your knees and hips to get them aligned and working smoothly.

I am going to work on my knees (amongst other things) with my PT once we have got my back muscles relaxed and working properly. He heard my knees the other day and adjusted the exercise to reduce the strain on them!

I feel that I am doing very well too, although have been told I won't be ready to return to work for quite a few weeks yet. My pain levels are much lower now, I just need to train my back muscles to allow me to move without going into spasm! We are working very gently and slowly to get them to release.

Hope you continue to do so well :D
    Do keep us updated on your progress, it will keep us all hopeful and positive.
  • I'm glad to hear you are doing well. It is a challenge to get those muscles to relax. Mine don't go into a full spasm but do get tight. My pt said that it takes 6-8 weeks for the brain and muscles to "get it together" and learn to work efficiently and to start to build muscle fibers. I am sched 3x a week for 3 months and she said that by then at least single leg bridges won't be hard but I won't be where I want to be. Patience patience!!! Lynette
  • Hi Lynette,

It is so great to hear from you! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. I am so happy that you are basically pain free and are able to make it through your days back at work. I will be praying that the rest of your body will get re-aligned and work the way it should.

Take care of yourself and keep healing! :H

• Great to hear you're doing so well 3 months after your 360 fusion surgery. It's great to hear a success story like yours. I hope PT can get your muscle fibers working. I hope you're not overdoing anything at work. Take care and keep us posted on your progress. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Great to hear from you as I think of you often!

Thank you for posting, it is great to hear how well you are doing, although I know it has been a long and difficult journey!

I hope things continue to progress with PT. It takes a ton of patience, I have been going to PT for 3 Months and I am not where I want to be!

It looks as if I have issues now at L3-4, everyone wants to blame it on something! I just want to get better!

The amount of stress that all of this places into ones life is significant!

Hang in there and thanks for checking in!

Wishing you the very best!
  • Thanks for all your continued encouragement! Lynette
  • I hope to read again soon that you are even better. It is great to hear that everything is working in your best interest. That is wonderful, wonderful news.

Stay strong and cool..
    Jane in Tennessee
  • Lynette....so good to hear from you. I only had 2 microdiscectomies but still completely understand the energy drain. I challenge myself to visit this board a few times a week too.

But like you said, each day will get better.
    The knee thing isn't a surprise and PT is there to help you ensure good body mechanics with your new "life".

So glad you are doing well after such a long road.