Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

muscle spasms after acdf

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, for those who have had acdf can you help me? Almost 2 weeks ago I had an acdf c4-c6 with new discs and titanium plates and screws. I wear an aspen collar, I am not driving yet, soon though! I am not doing much, walking with the hubby. I am having problems with muscle spasms on the opposite side of the surgery site. I will not even do very much, take a shower, get dressed and bam the burning and tightness on the top of the shoulder is incredible like nothing even before surgery! I take soma, it doesnt even touch the muscle spasm in that location. I ice it all the the time. I am afraid to do or go anywhere for fear of that spasm, anyone else have that after acdf? I will say the surgery seems to be a success for the right arm pain and nerve pain to my thumb pain. I still have some pain but I think it is residual pain and will eventually go away, thanks for any info. Also, how much activity should I be doing after acdf 2 weeks after surgery? Lela

• I think muscle spasms after an ACDF are very common. I know I've had them and still do, although not as bad as they were. Also, after a couple of months, I had pain in the back of my neck, an achy deep pain, and my surgeon said that was normal as things heal.

I wouldn't worry about the muscle spasms too much, but you might want to try a different muscle relaxer to see if it helps, maybe Valium, Robaxin or Skelaxin. There are a lot of them out there. Is the icing helping? If not, have you tried heat?

Of course, if you find that it's worrying you, don't hesitate to call your surgeon and let him know what's going on.

After two weeks, I was walking each day, but you still have to adhere to your restrictions. I wasn't driving, but hubby would take me out to see friends or drive through the park. At that point, long car rides were not in the picture - 20 minutes max before it was time for my recliner again.

Take care and it would be wise to talk to your surgeon and try a different muscle relaxant.

• I fully agree with what Cath just posted to you. Your spine is going through a bunch of changes, and with that too, your muscles are also adjusting to the major changes! The dynamics are now forever changed in your cervical spine, might even affect other areas of your spine and associated muscles, body mechanics etc.

You are very early in your recovery as well. Obviously mention these changes and concerns to your surgeon, but it sounds like you are recovering well, and your body is letting you know that changes have occurred, and it is adjusting as needed. Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • thanks guys I figured it was very common, I have tried skelaxin before, pm doc wanted me off valium said it was too addictive maybe I will try heat as well. Icing does help it. Brenda whats going on with you? Havent seen a new post and was just concerned about your condition as well.!! Lela
  • Yes'm, I think you are on track, maybe even ahead of the game! *HUG*

Me, shrug... My thoracic is basically a constant, and from what I saw on the MRI, and what I was told, it was more "Neuropathy" issues there due to Arthrosis and DDD at T8/9/10. I don't see anything being done there for many moons to come. Due to Neuropathy diagnosis's (right arm and both legs), my surgery for revision C5-7 +8 and L2/3/4 is on hold. I have been hitting my pool as often as I can to get a 'pain break' and work my spine in low gravity. :) I just retired, so I took a vacation from *all* doctors. I've now had my rest, and am ramping back up to see what if anything they can do. Lyrica is keeping me in check, so except for the thoracic, I am doing okay in spiney standards? Thanks for asking. *HUG*

I hope your are feeling better and better Lela! Support *HUG* and positive energy continue your way!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.