Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The day is finally here that I knew was coming

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Depression and Coping
I was approached at work today and asked to go to HR for a meeting. I knew this day would come but I was hoping not this soon. Ive missed too much work due to Drs appointments. Once a month to the surgeon and once a month to pain management. I am put on notice that if i miss again I will be terminated. My pain management appointment is Thursday and I have to go or I will be without my meds. Deep down I know it is my time to file for disability as each day of work is he## for me. I feel so useless right now and well.... mad. I have worked hard for this job. Ive tried to make-up missed hours by working weekends and taking on extra jobs. I gave 110% hoping that would mean something, I would come in early or stay late whatever it took to make sure my work is current. On the other hand I am grateful that they have stood by me for as long as they have. 2 major surgeries in 8 months. Face it Im a liability to any company. No one else is going to hire me with all my issues. Im not mad at my employer I am mad about my issues and thinking why me! Im not trying to have a pity party I just feel so frustrated and useless right now.

• for your condition but you come across as a class act in not blaming the company. I'm not sure I would be so gracious were I in your condition. However maybe it is time to apply for disability and take care of yourself now. Take care.
  • to apply for disability if work is too hard. Do you do a lot of sitting, standing? That hurts the wose for me. Could you reschedual your appointment? It is so hard not to have a job, it does take awhile for disability to come through also. I got lucky with minne because I also have another illness but I do know how hard it is.
  • I had a impairment eval. done by 1 of the Ortho. doc's in the practice I go to. He said that Im 35% impaired, and it will only increase after my possible L-5 to S-1 surgery. So, I asked around to see what kind of experience others have had when applying for disability. The common theme that I kept hearing was that "it takes forever to be approved and you really have to show that you can't do whole lot w/ your condition(s)".
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    But that needs to be your decision not theirs. You may have a medical discrimination case Possibly under the American disabilities act. Or something similar. And I know any H.R. hates to hear the words disability discrimination attorney. The decision should be yours, IF, your getting your work done.
    If you decide to leave, But mention those words. They would probably want to get you a SSDI attorney. And make sure their butts are covered!
    Susan, don't feel useless. I'm sure you can contribute to society in some other way! I've found it's important that you do. It can be volunteering or something else. But everyone needs to feel useful!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Sorry that you're working for a place that is so #$%##%(You can just imagine what I would like to say). It ticks me off when people are such heartless jerks. You have legit reasons to go to the darn doctor they should not hold that against you. I would do some research on wrongful termination, they should not be able to do that to you. Of course it wouldn't suprize me if there's no protection out there for people in your situation. Hang in there and do what's best for you!!
  • Like Beaver said, you're a very classy lady to take this the way you are.

I agree with Jim that there may be options for you out there. I've included some links that might be helpful to begin your research.

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/hepC/How to leave work on DB.html

These links are just the beginning. You should be covered under FMLA, however you might have used that with your surgeries, I don't know.

I'm just trying to help you out here. I really think there are employment standards such as FMLA, STD and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act that might help you out in this situation.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this, but if you're willing to fight for your job, I think you have some resources. At least I hope so, if that's what you want to do.

• I'm sorry to hear. Can you call your PM Dr and get in later after work? I hope you can apply for STD then LTD if necessary if you feel you can't work anymore with the pain. When I went on disability I couldn't even get up off the couch barely for a week and for sure the Boss was ticked at me. I never went back. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm so sorry to hear this, Susan. And to have the possibility of not getting your pain meds when you need them just adds insult to injury!

It sounds like you're getting lots of good advice. Let me just add a gentle HUG! >:D<

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • You don't need an attorney to file for discrimmination. You can contact the Americans with Disabilities organization and ask for a Mediator. They will help you by working with the company to establish what's going on. I did that and won over $20,000 just through mediation. I didn't have to sue because the company "settled" out of court. I also forced the company to hang ADA posters in their establishment so it wouldn't happen to anyone else.

If the company employs more than 15 people, they have to make concessions (accomodations) for your disability. My "disability" was the need for certain medication (Neurontin) that was found out during drug screening when the company hired me. Crazy, huh?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Well today they fired me. Im numb. I dont know how to feel. They fired me before my appt today. Their excuse was to many errors. I asked to see them and they refused to show me. They told me they will fight unemployment.
  • I'm really sorry to hear that, Susan. I know how hard it is. My guess is that too many of us know.

Do something really good for yourself. Anything. Be around other people if you need to be.

Please keep posting.

• Wow! I was reading your posts and was shocked to see this. I hope you're okay. Please keep posting here - but also call a lawyer. I work for a global company myself, and they have been known to do this to people they want to get rid of. Suddenly the person in question makes a major mistake in documentation or performance and has to be let go. I would also talk to your doctors about documenting your absences.

Above all, try to stay strong. There are a lot of great people on here who can probably be of more help - but I am still going to send positive thoughts your way!
    Its been a difficult week for me trying to digest everything that has happened. They say everything happens for a reason but I havent figured it out yet.lol. I recieved a call from a supervisor at work that informed me she was just demoted from 60 thousand a year to 8 per hr. They gave her a job that was given to high school kids after school. So basically it sounds as if they are cleaning house. Ive made the decision to file for SS. I will make a appointment Monday morning for a face to face meeting. I currently have all my medical records so I think it will just be easier to go to the ss office. So I guess Ill be like many others here and play the waiting game. Ohio is a no fault state in other words an employer needs no reason to fire you. Ive known for sometime that this day would come but it was still a shock. Perhaps I was not wanting to admit to myself that it was time. Ive been fighting this decision for about a year now. I fought a good battle, gave it all I had and well its time. Deep down I knew my work was not my normal standards, the pain and pain meds always causing some sort of diversion (mind wise). All I can say is I gave it my best. So let the waiting begin
  • I've been following thinking about you and hoping you wouldn't lose your job. I think there are many of us who can identify with how medical problems can lead to this. A few years back I was asked to resign because of making too many errors and it was all because of a nurse who gave me the wrong medication while I was hospitalized. I could barely write my own name, not to mention doing my work well, so I did as they asked and resigned. I couldn't draw unemployment because they didn't fire me and, well...you get the idea.

Hang in there and get your SSDI paperwork going. You'll come out on a better side of this situation, Susan!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • so sorry for loss of your job..
    As many others have said your a class act...and since you have been thinking of this for a yr..
    its still i'm sure hard to grasp..
    Would have been nice had you left yourself..
    I would still fill for unemployment because all employers say they will fight it..
    I hope you get ssdi asap...
    I have been outta work for 1yr and 26 days and i miss it so very much...I loved my job and socializing with customers..but I found spine-health so I am so greatful..
    You sound like a strong person and I know it will get easier but its very frustrating at first
    but (((hugs))))you will be ok
    take care
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well, bummer. Even though you know it's coming, it's still a bitter pill to swallow (no pun intended).

What I think stinks so much is that, as it's apparent that they're "cleaning house", they chickened out and fired you for something that probably isn't true instead of just laying you off and giving you severence and a chance at unemployment.

You might want to consider fighting it, but if you SSD goes well then you won't need it, right?

I'm thinking about you. I haven't worked in quite a while and now that I'm ready, there just aren't any jobs out there in my field, and if there are, they require a college degree. (Why? It's just graphic design and I've been doing it for 30 years....helllloooo....something wrong with that picture, isn't there.)

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your horrible week. I also believe that things happen for a reason and I'm still waiting to see what the reason is for the things that have happened to me or are not happening for me.

Just hang in there the best you can. I'm hoping that the SSD goes quickly and easily for you. Stress adds so much to our pain.

Take care of yourself and please keep us posted.
  • HI Susan, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I am having the same problems. I was verbally repremanded for going to doctors during work hours. I explained that certain doctors are not in early or late and I did make up the hours. But it isn't the same.

I made the painful decision to go out on disability two weeks ago. I had been working on meds and still in pain and it wasn't fair to me or my employer. I knew it was just a matter of time anyway and felt it was the right time to do it. Once all the paperwork is done I will have 26 weeks of state disability at a higher rate because my employer had a STD policy. Then after that (need surgery this Fall) I will go to their LTD policy.

I would suggest filing for disability with the state. They love to fight employers who try to deny you benefits. Since they had repremanded you for missing time just this past week you have a clear case that they are descriminating against your need for medical care. You might even want to contact the HR department first and mention that you feel you should have been recommended to go on disability and that you are talking to the state. They may be willing to change this without a fight.

Many employers are using any excuse to downsize and to reduce salaries. About two years ago my company (NY) merged with another company in Texas. They did a national salary analysis and told everyone in NY that they were making too much money. They said my salary was 40% too high. So I wouldn't get any raise until the national average went up that much. So no raise for 10-15 years! And that was after taking away bonuses. What's important to remember is that this has nothing to do with your performance. You/we are caught in a medical situation that has derailed our lives. Once we get the tracks fixed and get back on the main line we can get moving again.

I can tell you that my stress level has been cut in half these past two weeks. I make appts when it is best for me. I can take my time to talk to the doctors and nurses instead of rushing back to work. And now that summer is here I can enjoy a few extra moments with my kids. See there are some benefits.
    I had exhausted all my FMLA for the year so I dont have anything I can really do about the situation. Since being terminated I have lost all my STD and LTD benefits as they were employer based and once I was terminated I lost all benefits. The state disability in Ohio requires that you are denied Social Security and then they will help but in the way of food stamps only. No cash assistance or medical. If I had children under the age of 18 I would receive all kinds of help but since my son is now of legal age there is no help available. Believe me I have looked at every option. So I guess Ill just have to tough it out and pray that I am one of the few lucky ones that are approved with no issues. I have spoke with a disability atty. and he states he has no doubt I will win my case but since my age is 48 I will more then likely be denied from the beginning and will have to go to hearing. So like I said previously in a post "let the waiting games begin". Ive began the process of selling my car. I have enough equity to pay for cobra coverage for the next year and buy a decent used car. I will be moving in with the parents.....shudder at the thought.lol.and begin the social security process. I am trying to look at the positives of the situation. My parents are aging and I will now have all the time in the world to spend with them in their last years. I have no doubt that my health will improve by not working as everday for me at work was he##, not to mention as you did ALOT less stress at least from the job aspect of it. Thanks everyone for the support that Ive been given,
  • Wow. What you are going through sounds hard. What else could you do? You have given your all and then some....I truly empathize with you. Also, I am glad that you can see the co. has stood by you through previous times. Still, it sounds very painful. Would it help to share with you that you are so much more than your "job?" You are. Still....While I don't know exactly how you feel, I do have a small sense of it, and I am sorry. It's not fair. When you are ready, where to "go" from here?....
    Thinking of you with a kind heart, healingself (Saura)