Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kim40KKim40 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Scoliosis
Hi every one,

My son who is 15 has been told that he has to have surgery on his back, of course my head is spining. They re did the Xray and his curve is 53 degree's a lot more we orginally thought, we are awaiting an information session before we make the major decision

• I just came here to see if you had found the scoliosis thread.
    I saw your post as a new member and was going to tell you about this section, but you found it. :-)

I don't know much about scoliosis, but you have found a wonderful site with lots of information and great emotional support from people who know and care.

• Yes found the this thread but only just this morning!I wish I didnt know anything about scoliosis but sadly I am learning about it all.

Thanks for thinking of me

• Hi Kim,
    I have a friend who had surgery for scoliosis 20 years ago. She was in hospital for 3 months and had to wear her brace for 12 months!

Things are much easier nowadays. There have been lots of developments in surgical techniques that make the recovery much quicker.

I wish you well as you make your way through this new terrain.
  • Hi Jellyhall

We have been told that my son will be in hospital for 10 days then be transported home by ambulance, he cant do anything too much for 8-10 weeks. We have to wait for a phone call in 2 weeks to go to an information session to find out more information...
  • Hi Liz,

Thanks for the welcome
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I am thinking of you and wishing you a good outcome whichever decision you decide.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery

• I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.
    It is just awful to have health problems with your kids - probably worse than if it is with you, as you want to protect your kids.

I hope that as you learn more about surgery for scoliosis, you will feel more confident that you can cope with it.
    I was very scared about needing my fusion surgery for spondylolisthesis, but as I learnt what it entailed (even the bad stories) I slowly felt that I could face it. I had to find a way to, because I was told I would end up in a wheelchair if I continued to try to avoid it! I went into it prepared for it to be very hard, but was actually pleasantly surprised. I coped much better than I was expecting.

It is good that your son is calm about this. That will help you! :-)

Do read about scoliosis in the informations section here and also read some of peoples' experiences. Hopefully that will help you to face it. You will come across some horrid stories, but there will be good ones too. Bare in mind that this site has a biased slant towards the problem cases. A lot of the straight forward cases recover and get on with their lives.

You have just started out on this journey. There are lots of people here who will walk along by your side, supporting you. Do talk to us about your fears and questions you may have. People will help you. :-)
  • Wishing your son well. I'm sure it will be difficult for a young man of 15 to be inactive for that long. Hope he loves video games,etc. Best of luck to you and your son.

Welcome to SH...

• Hi Kim,
    Im in the same situation as you, I noticed one day in our kitchen that my daughters back didn't look quite right she had her back to me, just out of the blue there it was.
    It was a couple of years ago now and Im still quite worried and shocked about it all, her curvature is at the top of her spine and is 50%.
    Where are you from we are in Croydon, Surrey UK.
    She at the moment isn't in pain and she has chosen to live it, we are going back for yearly xrays.
    They didn't give us a lot of information at the time hence here I am now, but our first visit I don't think we were ready to hear about it all, second visit was a few weeks ago and it hit home for me then.
    I hope all goes well with you and your family anyway, Sarah

• Welcome to Spine Health! :-)
    How old is your daughter?
    I am in the UK too; in West Sussex.

My daughter's best friend at school had scoliosis, but didn't need surgery. She had to wear a brace for quite a while, but that seemed to sort it.
    She was a dancer and now has her own dance school.
    She teaches Pilates too. :-)

• Hi Marianne.

My son loves his computer and is always on it... I have read on my other thread of how a man's daughter had the operation and is much better off with it, My son seems to be more at ease than I am, I suppose it seems like a way to help him out.

Jellyhole, I will be doing a lot of reading that is for sure, this forum is the best thing for me to find so far.

Sarah, I remember your other post about your daughter my son's curve is 53 and has gotten worse since the last Xrays that were done in Sept last year... My son had told me he felt different so I took him straight to the GP and the ball was set rolling, we were having Xrays every 6 months and told not to leave it any longer than that. I totally understand what you mean about hearing all about it all, we are in Australia ... all the best for your daughter, will be keeping an ear to ther ground to hear how your daughter is going....

• We are off for an information session on Monday 12th July to discuss fusion on my son's back.... feel like crying right now but I know it is for his own good and freedom.....
  • Hey Kim, sorry to hear about your sons diagnosis, I under went scoliosis surgery when I was 16 about 8 years ago, I had a 68 degree curve. If you have any questions feel free to message me, preparing is the best thing you can do. the hardest part is the unknown!

• How did you get on at your appointment with you son on 12th July?

Hope that you are starting to feel less stressed about this. :-)
  • Hey Jellyhall,

The appointment was a real eye opener, it is a matter of when it will be done, My son wants to wait till he does Year 12, he is only in Year 10, I want to get the operation out of the way now so he can heal while he is young at the age of 16 rather than 18, If he has it done at the end of Year 12 it means he cant get into the work force like he wanted, My way of thinking is that he will go back to school when he is ready and be in a sort of a safty cacoon for want of a better word with out the stress of having a full time job on his hands, he has been told that when he goes back to school he may only feel like half a day and work on it from there, my way of thinking is that what employer is going to wanting someone that can do half a job, I could be totally wrong but I am eager for him to have the operation get it out of the way and move on with his life....

Sorry it is so long just a boat load of things running through my head!

• I wonder if there are people on here, on the scoliosis section, who can give their experience.
    If he has the surgery while he is still at school, would he have to be set back a year, because of all the time he'd need off school?
    Would that disrupt his friendships?
    Did the surgeon have any advice on when would be best?

I wish you well in making your decision. :-)
    It sounds like it is not an emergency and can wait for a few years. You need time now to digest all that you have been told, and to decide what the best option will be. Good luck with that.
    Do stay on here and keep asking questions. :-)
    I wonder if there are other young people on this forum who could give you their perspective.
This discussion has been closed.